DIY studio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnspoony

www.thumprecording.com

has a few terrible cell phone pics until I get a camera to take decent pics.

10,000 lbs of drywall and about 10 weeks of work start to finish.

It's in brooklyn so if any NYC p-pro'ers wanna come over let me know.

All of it was built by me including the traps/doors/window/wiring and thanks to you guys a lot of the outboard sitting in my racks...

cheers

Richard

I dig it - affordable - clean - 6 aux's, great for my headphone rig. The eq is very functional and I don't use the preamps so I can't comment on those.
I think the summing is pretty swell too :thumb:

hahaha its actually on the nightstand next to my bed... with a lot of other projects in the works.. frankenmixer makes the clients nervous :shock:

Like the dbx 160x(a)s but better

they actually aren't in the rack right now ... they've been loaned out for a few weeks for an album

Hey I know someone who tracks and works closely with Arcade of Fire....Coincidence!!!

Hey i dont drink but if i ever do... :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

nice job richie!
damn, 10 weeks for all that! we've been building for like 4 or 5 months now and have only now gotten all the walls built. hope you get lots of work and most importantly have lots of fun. :thumb:
kind regards,
grant

just been offered a CP6800 console so i have to move to accommodate it.

hope i get half the result in twice the time, like 3nity i too am tea total, but for you :sam: :sam: :guinness: :thumb:

awesome!!!

Iain

Thanks for all the comments!

Yes, 10 weeks... and it was solid work. I ate built and slept in the studio while it was going up. I slept 6 hours and worked 18 hours every day. I had to do it quickly because I'm on a lease here and who knows what will happen!

I hope to be in this location for at least 3 years but NYC has some lease terrors.

I also had a drywalling roofing party... They thought they were done after the first layer... and the second layer... and then the third layer came around hahaha

but we had some nice drinks after. All in all its for any audio related work and is mostly a project studio but I gotta go for it..

Actually Drywalling is pretty simple if you do it right the first time...if not you might loss the count of hands.....but normally two hands of drywall is enough as i said if done right 1st time...

Yeah, I found drywalling pretty easy, but insulating was a nightmare. Hate that stuff.

Then again the taping, mudding, and sanding are pretty messy.

OH man INSULATION

stand by for some amazing pictures when I get home tonight...

and yes - drywalling is easy if you measure your studs properly on 16's and know that the x's on the drywall are corresponding 16 inch spacers... and of course its a great work out and makes you feel manly to some degree

what i did learn is that my ac duct would leak even after the duct passed above the studio into a roof filled with insulation.. I had to get that tinfoil wrapped ducting wrap and go up there in the studios roof in a 20 inch crawl space face down and re wrap all the duct work above the studio space! I'll post some pics later on today

Latest posts

Back