Pultec MB-1 using 6SL7 and 6SN7?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohi

I'm almost done with my Pultec MB-1, following Rafafreddy's easy-to-follow work. One channel of my 3-channel preamp works fine. I'm waiting for a few parts for the other two channels. I've built it into an old Newcomb chassis using the Newcomb input transformers. -- My question involves my next project which is revolving around a nice-looking piece of test gear from WWll. I want to make it into a dual channel preamp. There's plenty of space, a nice panel and a power transformer that appears to be about the right voltage. It has six ceramic octal-base tube sockets. I was thinking of making a Pultec MB-1 again using 6SL7s and 6SN7s, unless someone has a better idea. I have several NOS military tubes to use. Any opinions? I'm obviously not a designer though I can usually decipher technical answers. I'll be primarily using it with old dynamic mics into a digital multi-track recorder (which already has its own preamps, so high gain isn't critical). I record old-style hillbilly music with old mics, aiming to sound like about 1950. Thanks for all your help. -- Keith

I've been thinking of the LA2a, but am kind of intimidated by the complexity. Oh, and I don't necessarily need to use 6SL7 or 6SN7 tubes. Those tubes and the 6SC7 just seemed like good candidates. I'm just hoping to build something with octal base tubes, all to preserve my old sockets. Seems kind of silly in black and white. -- Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I might have to do. Oh, and I think I have a pair of UTC-10 transformers.
Keith

Latest posts

Back