S800 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on this project, board is done and I will get a quote for it tomorrow.

Some pics:

The only way I could do this was to put the Bypass and Freq select switches on the underside of the boards.

If there is any further interest I will do a front panel as well. I will open a White Market thread as soon as I have more details.

Peter

Hey Peter, thanks for getting back to me. Tried sending you a PM, but your inbox is full :)

Well I`ll be following this thread hoping that you get around to reprinting the boards  8)

I'm also intrested in maybe 4 PCBs. I would prefer rackmount Units but API500 is better than nothing ;)
Let me know when you are making boards!

JW said:
Hey folks,

Does anybody sell cases for an 8 channel S800 these days? Or at least a front panel?

I think one guy offered one in the black market few days ago

hi there…
working on a couple of s800…got the aml Kit..
seems to work fine except for the bypass…when I engage the eq I get a gain boost..

thought it might be the calibration so...
I calibrated the board…feeding a 1.22 v 1k tone… getting 1.22v on the output with eq on…
I bypass and get 0.23v on the output..

happens the same on both EQs…I am not an expert but have learned resistor color chat thanks to this protect and everything seems ok…

I have read through the thread and can't find where my problem might be

all help is welcome

Attachments

• DSC_0900.JPG
    DSC_0900.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 86
matta said:
Ok,

This may help. What I did was get 30mm standoff and join the boards together, I then added some 3mm weather stripping on the top and bottom of the case, when you screw it together it clamps down on the PCB's, holding them all in place.

8_channel_PCB_wired.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Sorry for the noob question here but I've started building this and I was thinking of using this method that matta suggested. Does anyone know what kind of wires I can use to do this method. is it just regular hookup wire 24awg solid core like in the link below?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Wire/3050-RD005/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtW9UaYX5J1tM4kpfBO860L9v%2f3ZB7f%2f88%3d

Thanks in advanced

Hello,

Just to share some DIY happiness, I finally built my unit, AML kits, case by Frank et frontpanels.de, PSU is a Vellman 1A kit... Very very happy with the sound, perfect on bass, guitars and drums, which are fortunately 95% of my job  8), and very quiet unit.
Thanks a lot to everyone who made this possible !

12314310_857725254345244_5659667312787404219_o.jpg

11223986_857725034345266_3310388190924568634_o.jpg

12307323_857725304345239_5450822699814895875_o.jpg

Okay, I'm working on a 4 channel unit here. I'm curious which caps might be fun to experiment with to change the sound a bit. Wimas are cheap so I thought I'd at least try with one channel to see if I like them better. I'm guessing C5 and C6, which are in the high freq. circuit. Maybe C11-C14? I'm not sure which caps will effect the sound most. Are the caps in the sweep circuit very important?

???

Second question/comment.  Somebody back in this thread mentioned getting rid of hiss in the high shelf by using opa267 for U1. Looks like that chip is SMD only. So an adaptor would be needed. I also noticed that the datasheet has those chips operating at 12V max! Hmmmm

So, I don't think I'll even try that. I don't want to lower the supply voltage just to try out one chip. Opa134 might be interesting though. Yet, someone else (please forgive me for forgetting who it was. I don't want to dig through the whole thread right now) seems to have solved their problem by swapping back to the original TLO71 from Opa134. I wonder if this was entirely a current consumption issue. . . .

I do have a big power transformer .

I don't have a schematic, but in general all caps affect the sound to some extent. Wima film caps would be a good choice to experiment with in all the filter sections.

Opa134 can substitute for tl071, just at a higher current draw. Opa134 is better in most ways, but sonically you might prefer one or the other.

I would not expect huge changes but try it and see.

Most of my builds are done with Wima caps MKS4, as far as i remember.

I think the opamp change will have more of an effect, but without trying it would be hard to tell.

This eq has a really 'in your face' nature.

Peter

Latest posts

Back