have you guys seen a calendar that does this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

I'd like to have an online calendar that when I put one date in (a gig) it automatically populates other user-defined dates (IE: two weeks prior send out calendar listing, two days prior send out email, etc)

Anyone seen anything like this?

This is a standalone web application looks pretty close:

http://webscripts.softpedia.com/script/Modules/Joomla-Mambo-Modules/gigCalendar-1599.html

It seems to be more oriented to venue owners, though.

-----

This guy has a suite of Wordpress (a blog engine, in case you didn't know) plug-ins for bands, including one called Gigs Calendar. I don't know if it can do everything you want, though. You'd need to be running Wordpress for your main site anyway.

http://blogsforbands.com/

From what I can tell, that is just a normal calendar. I want to put on a date-Say Dec 31st. ThenI want the calendar to automatically put in predefined info into other dates (like 2 weeks before, 4 weeks before).

I'm just taking a wild stab here, because to be honest, I don't think you'll find what you want. Someone else may know something that I don't. The only auto-population I've ever seen in calendar programs is to schedule a recurring event, like the astronomy club meeting every fourth Tuesday of the month or something like that.

If you use Wordpress, you might try submitting the feature request to the Gigs Calendar guy. He might like the idea.

Have you tried Google Calendar?

If they don't have it, they are pretty good about implementing it.

I use google calendar now. Not sure that my desire would help enough people for Google to take notice.

Why buy when you can DIY?

Google Calendar API

Google provides public API's for their web applications precisely because they don't want to bundle and then have to support every conceivable feature under the sun with their service. Besides, with a little effort you could have a DIY calendar utility to schedule gigs with your DIY mbiras. That's cool in a coming-full-DIY-circle kind of way.

From your description, it sounds like you have a semi-fixed list of events that have to get scheduled a certain number of days before or after a gig. So, with a text editor or Excel you could create a CSV file that reads:

"-14", "Mail out calendar listing"
"-2", "Send out email"
"2", "Send out thank you email to attendees"
"4", "Upload drunken afterparty pictures with the strippers to MySpace"

Cooking up something to take this and stuff it into Google Calendar should take around 20 minutes of work. If you're not feeling programmatically inclined, PM me with your email address, and I'll take a crack at it. I don't have much DIY on my plate until Purusha's 670 case arrives (lousy international postage! Bah!), so I'd be happy to help. The only software requirement would be having Python and a few extra libraries to make Google happy. How you go about installing them depends largely on whether you're a PC or a Mac guy.

PM'd because the only Python I know is Monty Python, and libraries are what I owe money to for late books...

In short that would be friggin' sweet if this was integrated in my google calendar, as I already use several google calendars to keep things straight with the band now.

that would be an awesome type of app, if i really really begged would you share it with me ....

... need to find some strippers

Iain

It would be awesome. I took a gander at that google apps page-way beyond my abilities. Hopefully McCroskey will have more luck!

Back