dbx 160vu clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clintrubber said:
damnyankee said:
I would also like to do the Rockman Instrument EQ, Rockman Stereo Echo,

Just curious, have you seen schematics for these ? Or to be based on the info from the patents ?

Cheers/Bye
I haven't been able to find schematics for any Rockmodule.  I have several of these modules but they're becoming very hard to find in nice, working condition - particularly the EQ.  I think the original Rockman was ingenious - as was the Sustainor.  The analog Stereo Chorus in my opinion is the best ever manufactured, and the analog Stereo Echo is stellar.  Regarding the Instrument EQ: one tech told me the sliders were custom made internally and that would be a barrier to cloning that particular Rockmodule.

haima said:
damnyankee said:
Let's talk Vbe transistor matching - which will be a must for the VCA.

what about the option of using THAT matched transistor arrays? i they are better matched than anything we could do easily - and better thermal coupling due to being on the same die. they are available at farnell and mouser amongst other places.... not TOO expensive considering the time needed to find matches.

obviously the pcb would need to be drawn to suit - perhaps something for the next revision?

that that data :) http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/300data.pdf
Actually, AC has incorporated the THAT 2180A into the pcb - so you have the choice of using a THAT 2180A or recreating the 200 VCA right on the board. 

We had talked about the option of incorporating a switch so one could switch between the 2180A and the 200 VCA but I think the decision was if someone wanted to do that, they could do that themselves.

I hope that helps and thank you for your interest!

DY

haima said:
damnyankee said:
Let's talk Vbe transistor matching - which will be a must for the VCA.

what about the option of using THAT matched transistor arrays? i they are better matched than anything we could do easily - and better thermal coupling due to being on the same die. they are available at farnell and mouser amongst other places.... not TOO expensive considering the time needed to find matches.

obviously the pcb would need to be drawn to suit - perhaps something for the next revision?

that that data :) http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/300data.pdf

Very interesting Idea...That would save Mucho mucho time....would probably need some more research, do you think we could just drop in the matched THAT transistors? Very good idea!!!! Probably save lots of money in the long run....if it works :) Brill!

clintrubber said:
damnyankee said:

Just curious, have you seen schematics for these ? Or to be based on the info from the patents ?

Cheers/Bye

What is so great about these? are they designed for guitar? or line use? just curious....

ALSO UPDATE TO ALL THAT ORDERED PROTOTYPES!!!!!
they were supposed to be shipped from the factory today, but that date has been pushed to the 21st due to a factory problem. I'm looking into it and will let you know!

Thanks
AC

damnyankee said:
clintrubber said:
damnyankee said:

Cheers/Bye
I haven't been able to find schematics for any Rockmodule.  I have several of these modules but they're becoming very hard to find in nice, working condition - particularly the EQ.  I think the original Rockman was ingenious - as was the Sustainor.  The analog Stereo Chorus in my opinion is the best ever manufactured, and the analog Stereo Echo is stellar.

I have a few sheets, but it's far from complete. I'll upload to the gmail-account. Let's all share what we have  :p
I'm especially interested in the Sustainor-variations (with/without opto-couplers for the AutoClean-part).
I don't have anything of the Stereo Echo and that's the very one I need to repair  :-\

Regarding the Instrument EQ: one tech told me the sliders were custom made internally and that would be a barrier to cloning that particular Rockmodule.

As I thought to have understood it just differs from  'normal EQs' w.r.t. its frequencies, but you mean it also employs custom cut/boost-laws ? Myth ? Real ? 

Bye!

Might be good to split the Rockman-related stuff from the dbx-messages if the Rockman-flavor keeps coming (let's hope  ;) )  I'll split when it's indeed so.

abechap024 said:
clintrubber said:
damnyankee said:

Cheers/Bye

What is so great about these? are they designed for guitar? or line use? just curious....

I'm not sure myself... just like it went with synths for me, I got interested because of the tech-side of things, not for synth-music. I don't especially dig Boston either, but the relatively higher tech-taste of these units triggered interest. And there's the high degree of footswitchability  8) ... modular building-blocks  :) ... fancy black-white-blue boxes  :-* ... brittle plastic casings  :mad:  etc .... 

wow. spam. first time i've seen that here. i just sent a message to ethan to let him know.

*** EDIT **** the spam post that was above here has been removed!

haima said:
wow. spam. first time i've seen that here. i just sent a message to ethan to let him know.  
Oh for God's sake...talking about cloning Scholz R&D Rockmodules isn't spam.  Scholz closed SR&D 20 years ago and so ended those old rockmodules.  Scholz still records his Boston albums with those old modules - and still uses his (4) dbx 160VUs, dbx 166, and dbx 263x de-ess on his albums.

Here an article from Sound on Sound, "The Engineers Who Changed Recording - Fathers Of Invention (Meek, Dowd, Putnam, Massenburg, and SCHOLZ): http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct04/articles/rocketscience.htm

Yes Clint - please start a SR&D Rockmodule Clone thread on the Drawing Board so we can continue discussion over there.

damnyankee said:
haima said:
Oh for God's sake...talking about cloning Scholz R&D Rockmodules isn't spam.  Scholz closed SR&D 20 years ago and so ended those old rockmodules.  Scholz still records his Boston albums with those old modules - and still uses his (4) dbx 160VUs, dbx 166, and dbx 263x de-ess on his albums.

Here an article from Sound on Sound, "The Engineers Who Changed Recording - Fathers Of Invention (Meek, Dowd, Putnam, Massenburg, and SCHOLZ): http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct04/articles/rocketscience.htm

Yes Clint - please start a SR&D Rockmodule Clone thread on the Drawing Board so we can continue discussion over there.

that's not what haima's talking about.  There was an actual spam message above his this morning.  It's been pulled.

haima said:
sorry for the confusion! there was some actual spam there, but i pm'ed ethan and he's removed it...  ;D

carry on rockmen!
Well gee whiz, why didn't you say so in the first place???  ;D

Hi All,

Sorry I'm a little out of the loop, I've been ill.

About the switches.

I did a little playing around and discovered it's very easy to pop out a switch from the assembly.

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=30

I think for the 3 gang switch this is the best way to go.  These switches are better that the US alternative and are inexpensive.  I can't get a 3 gang from my current supplier as I have to order in the 1000's and I doubt I would sell near that many.  I can get a much smaller quantity from my US manufacturer but the cost will probably be $8+ WHOLESALE.  The US switches are also just not as good as what I currently stock.

If you want to order a 3 gang but are nervous about removing the 4th switch, just order and add a note.  I'd be happy to remove it and send you the 3 gang and extra switch.  I can post a pic on how it looks and how to do it as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Glad to see you feeling better. I know there has be talk about using the 4th switch as the power button. Is it pretty easy to unlatch the 4th switch from the others? Sorry I don't have experience with your switches, as of yet. but have to say they do look very NICE!

Thanks
AC

abechap024 said:
Hi Mike,
Glad to see you feeling better. I know there has be talk about using the 4th switch as the power button. Is it pretty easy to unlatch the 4th switch from the others? Sorry I don't have experience with your switches, as of yet. but have to say they do look very NICE!

Thanks
AC

I have a look and post back!

abechap024 said:
Hi Mike,

Thanks
AC
Agreed! 

And AC...correct me if I'm wrong: the total DIY cost (rack excluded) will probably run less than $160?  $35/pcb, $66/mouser, $20 for LM301's and other odds/ends, $35 for Mike's VU meters/switches.  Sound about right?

DY

damnyankee said:
And AC...correct me if I'm wrong: the total DIY cost (rack excluded) will probably run less than $160?  $35/pcb, $66/mouser, $20 for LM301's and other odds/ends, $35 for Mike's VU meters/switches.  Sound about right?

DY

Hi,
Also the power transformer will run you another couple dollars, depending on were you get it, I wouldn't pay more than the 11$ these guys charge:

http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=24

Also the enclosure will cost another 30-50$
But over all should end up being around 200$ a unit. But that price drops if you build more than one unit at a time. And when you think about the time involved it might just be easier to pay the 750$ for one on fleabay. But if your like me, its so muhc more fun to build one! (Plus Its nice having equipment only you can use, cause I have a habit of not labeling any of my knobs!!! hahah its my own form of insurance;-))

damnyankee said:

I'll see if I can pull the relevant messages from this thread into a Rockman-one, stay tuned.

edit: saw a new thread was already started. OK, might then be best to copy stuff to that one. Can you give it a try ?

Bye

Sorry everyone that ordered PCBs, I can't find the old order thread that was in the lab!!
So I'll post updates here, until maybe I have better luck later??

PCBs were shipped out today. Once I get them I'll send them out

Thanks All :)
AC

abechap024 said:
Sorry everyone that ordered PCBs, I can't find the old order thread that was in the lab!!
So I'll post updates here, until maybe I have better luck later??

PCBs were shipped out today. Once I get them I'll send them out

Thanks All :)
AC

Here's the order thread, AC:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40282.0

Cheers!

DY

Latest posts

Back