DDA " S" Channel Host? ( Schematics posted at bottom of thread..!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snatchman

Hello. Just wondering since I haven't got into being able to post pics, schematics, etc. on the Forum.. :oops: ... wondering if anyone would be willing to post my " S " channel schematics so you guys could give advice on best modding for components, etc., if I sent a copy of the channel schematics to you " snail mail"? It's modular channels, Master, etc. and maybe one/all of you could advice to best and practical upgrade. Thanks.... :cool:

I've got an M series console. It's the same as S series. I have exchanged the TLO72's in the input with Burr Brown OPA2604.
Don't expect an immense difference, but it's a noticable change. The sound is a bit tighter in the lows, and more open in the highs. This mod is recommendable.

I've also changed the NE5534's in the o/p stage to Analog Devices AD somewhat (can't recall, have to open it!). This difference isn't really noticable, and it's not a justified investment if you ask me.

The only other thing I can mention as "wise", is a recap of course !

greetings,
Paul

[quote author="helterbelter"]I've got an M series console. It's the same as S series. I have exchanged the TLO72's in the input with Burr Brown OPA2604.
Don't expect an immense difference, but it's a noticable change. The sound is a bit tighter in the lows, and more open in the highs. This mod is recommendable.

I've also changed the NE5534's in the o/p stage to Analog Devices AD somewhat (can't recall, have to open it!). This difference isn't really noticable, and it's not a justified investment if you ask me.

The only other thing I can mention as "wise", is a recap of course !

greetings,
Paul[/quote]

Hello Paul. Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM..!.........Thanks.. :thumb:

Rednoise : have fun ! which series do you have ?

Snatchman,

If you have the manual in full, here's a question you might be able to answer :

a few channels are a different version : They have screenlegends, and place for a mic inputtransformer. I noticed the Neutrik NTM4 fits in, but I can't get it to work. Maybe there's another transformer what it's designed for. Also, there's also place for 2 caps to be placed with the transformer, but I don't know which values. My manual doesn't say anything about the inputtransformer, except that it's offered as an option....

Does your S series have micinputtrannies ?!?

hahaha. That's cool.

I haven't checked that site the last year. Before they just noted that the site was under construction. For more than a year..... All they had online was a manual of the cs8....

Scodiddly : Thx for the link!

helterbelter : what brand of cap did you use in your DDA??

Cheers.

Wel, I haven't recapped mine yet, hahaha.

it's actually a coincidence, but I have ordered a load of caps a couple of weeks ago, but they haven't arrived yet. I wasn't going for a mod this time, only refreshing the caps. Mainly because most channels still have the original caps fitted.

Brands ?!? Well, just what I could easily find. Of course there will be certain points where it would be better to use high grade / low esr caps, bipolar, or maybe tantalums, but I haven't looked very close to the schematics yet. Maybe I'll do that later on. I must also add that I'm more an an electronics starter, than a pro, hahaha.

But I'll look into that !

[quote author="helterbelter"]Rednoise : have fun ! which series do you have ?

Snatchman,

If you have the manual in full, here's a question you might be able to answer :

a few channels are a different version : They have screenlegends, and place for a mic inputtransformer. I noticed the Neutrik NTM4 fits in, but I can't get it to work. Maybe there's another transformer what it's designed for. Also, there's also place for 2 caps to be placed with the transformer, but I don't know which values. My manual doesn't say anything about the inputtransformer, except that it's offered as an option....

Does your S series have micinputtrannies ?!?[/quote] Hello helterbelter. No, my " S" doen't have trannies.. Since this board is set up more of a live board ( no tape returns/B input routing), I use outboard pres and come into the line in. I would rather, if I can, get a great sounding line level signal path going! What would you recommend for a direct replacement for the TLO-72 line input amp? BTW.. are those TLO-74s the amps for the EQ?... Thanks.....

The serie I have is a cs8....IIRC...!!!!too much craky noise problems push me to "leave" "her" at the moment , I'm a noob too....I'll try to recap etc ...But it's gone to be a huge work!!!

Hi, yep, the TLO74's are for the eq.

The TLO72 in the inputstage is half for line input, and half for and micinput. For lineinput use, you'll also benefit from the BB upgrade.

So, snatchman, you use it for mixing only. In that case you might have a benefit from the AD825 opamp, replacing the NE5534 in the outputstage of each channel. The thing just is, I can't make a comparison that easy. I haven't modded all channels, and I'm not able to connect the mixer at this moment (since I haven't got the programbuss fitted at this moment).

Rednoise :

Once you have the caps, recapping is quite simple, and not a lot of work. rechipping is harder when there aren't any IC-beds fitted on the boards !

this CS8 is my ex-girlfriend...I'll get her back!!!
Brand new panasonic audio caps and AOP beds...My 2009 goal.
:green:

emrr said:
Here are the specific schematics sent by Snatchman.   I may end up reworking this thing for him a few channels at a time.  Comment away.

channel
master
PSU
Hi everyone. Here's the schems for my DDA S ( channel , PSU , Master..) that emrr was kind enough to post. Looking for some input on modding , rechipping , caps, etc. from anyone that can/will participate!... 8)..Thanks...

Back