removing screen printing from a case

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreqFarm

I'd like to remove the original screen printing from a bit of kit and I'm wondering what the best solvent is?

After some googling I've come up with these options:
a) liquid soap
b) isopropl alcohol
c) laquer thinner

I'm pretty sure a & b aren't going to do it, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Hi Jakob,

thanks for the reply - I was thought I might get a response such as this.

As with so many things DIY it's going to be all about trial and error

FreqFarm said:
I'd like to remove the original screen printing from a bit of kit and I'm wondering what the best solvent is?

After some googling I've come up with these options:
a) liquid soap
b) isopropl alcohol
c) laquer thinner

I'm pretty sure a & b aren't going to do it, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Hi,
I'm new to the whole mic world and such, but when I need to remove some printing I usually use good ol' fashioned rubbing alcohol and it's pulled through every time.  That or lacquer thinner, which is much stronger but it might remove other paint, if there is any, if you leave it on there for too long.

I have been trying to remove screen printing from a black anodised aluminium panel over the last few days using lacquer thinner, wetting some kitchen tissue and rubbing the panel, it kinda works but takes hours of rubbing. If you find an easier way, let me know as I have more panels to do. The anodising is not affected.

Michael

As gyraf said, there's different types of ink.
Older units (before the 60's) use soluble ink that acetone will take off easily.
Newer ones are epoxy-based, and I've found paint peeler to be the easiest, but it works only on non-painted surfaces.
If you have a painted surface with epoxy-based lettering, I have found a product that does the trick:
It's a stain remover for clothes and fabrics, it's marketed in France as "Eau ecarlate" (scarlet water, although it's perfectly colorless and transparent!)
Applied with a cotton pad, it takes the lettering without damaging the paint too much (although it becomes matte)

wow - great range of options to try!

thanks everyone

does paint peeler attack an anodised finish? and for that matter will laquer thinner attack anodised surfaces?

No, lacquer thinners will not damage the anodized surface, I mentioned I was using it in my post above ... it does very slowly remove the screened printed labelling on my panel, but it is taking hours of rubbing to do so. I have not yet tried paint stripper.

Michael

Latest posts

Back