Left of Field - The DIY Nearfield

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis

Hi Chaps

Don't see too many people building speakers here, but here's a pair I finished recently:

R360.jpg

They're really a speaker kit from these guys.  I did the cabinets myself from the plans on the website and bought the drivers/crossovers as a set.  The midwoofer is a Peerless 6.5" 830833 and the tweeter is a Fountek JP3.0 ribbon.

I haven't had a chance to compare them against other speakers as yet, but first impressions are it's extremely detailed and quite neutral sounding.  I haven't been exposed to ribbon tweeters before, and playing some of my mixes and CD's through them is quite revealing!  They're not too hyped in the bass either which is nice.  Adding a sub to them would really complete the picture quite nicely.

Great looking project.

I'm starting one pretty soon.  I'll see if I can post some pics here as I get them going.
It will be a 8" coaxial driver biamped project.

Take care
Gil

Nice one
I started making some cabinets using the the "golden ratio" but the dimensions ended being physically very awkward.

Thanks guys  :)

The speakers are indeed ported at the back.  65mm PVC downpipe.

Have you ever considered a powered version?

I initially toyed with the idea, but I already had a perfectly good poweramp so I was a bit reluctant to make the switch to actives, especially if I has DIY-ing them.

I have a pair of speakers I replaced the tweeters with the fountek 3.0's. I like ribbon tweeters alot. I have noticed though that in some casses the ribbons are too revealing with certain transients.

I was really intrigued by this until i saw the price of the speaker kits...

I know you get what you pay for, but that's a little outta my price range, lol.

They look great btw!!!

I really enjoy the way the ribbons sound, but I've found the imaging to get a little shaded.
I've done some A/B comparison between a high-end ribbon monitor and a well designed compression driver one and the image was a lot better on the later.

I've always been a big fan of coaxial drivers and I found a source for a great one.  Made in US.
I'll post some pics as I get these done.  I'll also try to get some TEF readings as well as Smaart.

Could you post some response curves for yours?  It would be really interesting to see what's doing.

take care
Gil

Could you post some response curves for yours?  It would be really interesting to see what's doing

I don't have the gear to do frequency sweeps, but there's some frequency plots on the designers' website.  Have a look at the 5th graph down the page.  Looks roughly +/-3dB from 40Hz to 15KHz with a slight rise up around 20KHz, before diving down at about 35KHz.

Hi All,
first post after a lot of lurking around....

BR said:
Great looking project.

I'm starting one pretty soon.  I'll see if I can post some pics here as I get them going.
It will be a 8" coaxial driver biamped project.

Take care
Gil

I am quite interested in this : currently I have a couple of coax from SEAS laying around, bought a lot of time ago with the idea to build an alternative monitor to my Dynaudios.
Basically I was thinking to a 10-12 BR box, either with passive xover and external poweramp or with simple 2 way active xover an internal amp based on one of those power ICs available.

Will follow the thread with interest ....

Have a nice day !

Marco

Back