opamp test audio files

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphotodude

i recorded some tracks through my green pre, just playing a simple guitar riff clean and swapping opamps.
there are 10 mp3 tracks at 320kbs.
it is a 10mb zip file that can be downloaded here:
http://uploading.com/files/SRUYKU44/test file.zip.html
its from uploading.com so its not that fast of a download and it makes you wait...but its free and not as restricting on download amount...

there is a notepad file that explains the setup and opamp changes...i recommend listening before reading that though.
all tracks are on the same pre, same settings, guitar riff played over each time though.
the only thing that changes from track to track is that i swapped opamps and replayed the riff.
dont worry about the little bit of static noise, i was sitting in front of some gear and had to position myself to not get so much static...and its a boring riff and a tad out of tune...the object was just to see what i heard from different opamps used and thats it.
this is only an opinionated thing with one basic setup and the same instrument..
i only did this for a test for myself and thought some may be interested to hear the results.

the differences are generally subtle(except maybe the dog eared people...but they are also 320kbs mp3's exported from16bit 44.1)
but the results suprised me on a few chips.

enjoy
mrphotodude
greenfaceqz3.jpg

Thanks, interesting listening!  Liked 8 the best on run through, and 4 the least (I won't spoil which is which here) but much appreciated cause I've been thinking bout doing the same test... you've saved me some time ;D

dave

wish i could do it with a half decent vocal mic...the problem isn't the mic..its my vocal! even harder to listen to then the same riff over and over out of tune!

Are you saying I'm not gonna sound like John Lennon when I get my U-47 done ;D ;D ;D

Are you saying I'm not gonna sound like John Lennon when I get my U-47 done
funny-pictures-cat-is-john-lennon-or-harry-potter.jpg

no more sound like lennon then a guy with a strat, tubescreamer with jrc4558d, twin with electrovoice speakers will sound like srv....

reminds me of a joke...
how many guitarist's does it take to cover a stevie ray vaughn song?

evidently all of them!

;D Damn, guess I've gotta stop building stuff and start using it a little more hhehe

you know, i think the old jcr4558 actually sound okay..
sound like old analog equiptment....but the opa2132 are very clean and hifi sounding.
i did like the lm4562's from national...they are pretty tight and have some coloring, but in a good way.

i ended up using the 4562's in my single channel pre and a 5532/opa2604 on the quads(if i had enough 2132's i would have used em! but both that i have are in my s800).

thanks for the posting the test files!

The IC gear I have has either Signetics/Philips or JRC 5532/34's in them. TI's seem harsh compared to the others to my ears.

I did the test blind and definitely very subtle and subjective. I ranked the JRC 2nd. The 4562 was the best. I had never heard of the lm4562 before and very pricey to re-chip a board with though.

byron

Latest posts

Back