First time acoustic Guitar/singer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioJunkie

I'm possibly doing my first recording thing that's not a two track live recording of chamber music concerts and have a couple of questions for some of you experienced dudes: this is an talented singer/song writer kid not farfrom me( I say kid but he's not really, 21 I believe).. I think he has a lot of potential and want to help him with doing something besides a few you tube videos, where his lyrics aren't always easy to understand and offered to do some recordings of a few of his songs for free to also give m a n ew experience and broaden my recording horizons. I'll have four tracks two from my ULN 2 and two more from a focusrite Green1 pre going to my Masterlink and from the Masterlink AES into my ULN My Mic options are a pair of Rode NT-5's, a SM81 and a couple of MG M-930's. It seems like most people record aoustic guitar with a n LD by the soundhole and a Small diaphragm somewhere along the frets( everyone has their own idea of where along there to place it I've always been happy with the sound of the Nady U87 knockoff so thought Id try that on his voice or for ambianceAnd would use maybe the other MG on his voice

Any suggestions? I'm offering todo this for free because I can't play any more since having a stroke over the summer( due to rain cancer) And because I've had that part of my musical life taken away, I am trying to keep some music in my life by teaching for free some of my former students when they wnt to coe to me and offering my recording for free/reduced rates to people like this kid who I think are grea and are going places

How you handle the guitar is going to depend a lot on what kind of guitar it is -- what's best for a big Martin isn't what's best for a small Taylor, etc..

That said, I'd save one of the Gefells for the vocal mic -- they're really nice on a lot of male voices -- and start by doing the guitar with the other Gefell (down by the bridge) and either the NT5 or SM81 (up by the neck). My reason for suggesting those mics is that they're all reasonably well-behaved off-axis, a must when you're miking a voice and guitar at the same time.

If you're willing to go mono on the guitar, then putting the Gefell on the neck and nothing on the bridge would also be an option -- that works well on a lot of guitars. It also avoids all kinds of phase problems.

Peace,
Paul

Recording acoustic guitar will depend on how and what the player is playing and you will obviously find the sound you like. But give  a small diaphgram condenser over the right shoulder (assuming he is right handed) a try.

For me,
use the LDC if its a slower song with indivual notes fingered and only 1 gtr on the song. the LDC will pick up more of the wood tones of the gtr and the room.

use the SDC if its strummed or on the quick side. a tighter more focused on the strings sounds. (especially overdubs cause the wood of the gtr will sound boxy/boomy if doubled or not allowed to be heard completely.)

How you handle the guitar is going to depend a lot on what kind of guitar it is -- what's best for a big Martin isn't what's best for a small Taylor, etc..

+1. It also depends on how he plays. His style will affect the sound of the guitar.

A simple x-y stereo pair with the NT-5's could work really nicely. Mono is probably worth a go too as stereo mic'ing guitars can sometimes give it an uneven sound due to the spread of the frequencies across the stereo space. Of course this can be fixed with some slight panning and level changes.

If you have the time: try a few different methods.

Rob

Latest posts

Back