General Info on the "nuts and bolts" of VST and Direct X based plugins

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENS Audio

Just the basics such as websites, recommended books and compiler programs would be great because after I finished up some of my projects that are 99.98% done; I'd like to eventually my own plug ins or at least learn enough to know if modeling a LA2A compressor would be something feasible if it hasn't been done already. ;D

ENS Audio said:
Just the basics such as websites, recommended books and compiler programs would be great because after I finished up some of my projects that are 99.98% done; I'd like to eventually my own plug ins or at least learn enough to know if modeling a LA2A compressor would be something feasible if it hasn't been done already. ;D

What's your coding experience? If you know C++ , get VST SDK from Steinberg and Visual Studio Express from Microsoft (or X-Code if you are Mac). VSExpress 2008 is completely free, and it does everything
you need for VST . Beyond that, there is no single agregated info in a book or a website. You should try Developers subforum at www.kvraudio.com, I guess there are other similar
forums but I don't know about them. If you don't know DSP stuff, that's whole different can of ugly worms. If you don't have experience with both coding and DSP, expect very steep learning curve.
DirectX plugin format seem rather dead (don't quote me on this, I was never interested in it).
LA2A modeling was attempted quite a few times. Emphasis is on attempted. IMHO you would need at least spice level modeling to get there 100%, which is not feasible on modern computers (in real time, and
with low CPU consumption).

cheerz
urosh

Latest posts

Back