External Transformer For SDC Mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
I was wanting to expirement with different transfomers with a cheap SDC that I've got.  Most of the transformers I have are too big for the mic tube.  Would there be any problem putting the transformer in a separate box?  I think the Royer modded MXL 603's did this.  Any thought on this appeciated.

Craig

Shouldn't be a problem for short cable runs. Other mics like those you suggested, Lomos, and Altecs do the same.

Lower output impedance valves should be less likely to cause issues, but I'd just give it a shot.

would it be unheard of to add a xlr interfaced apparatus that attaches to the bottom of the mic that houses the transformer?
or maybe just a box that runs between the cable and input much like an external phantom power supply?

mrphotodude said:
would it be unheard of to add a xlr interfaced apparatus that attaches to the bottom of the mic that houses the transformer?
or maybe just a box that runs between the cable and input much like an external phantom power supply?

There were AKG 414 to C12 mods which worked like this - the electronics were housed in a additional box which mounted to the old XLR. Looks crap, but probably works ok (although in this case, the length of the capsule wire is long because the valve is in the enclosure too).

hi all, would the oep A262A6E 1+1:1+1 be suitable for the mic transformer in the mxl 603 royer tube mod?

Sure, it will work. To find out how well, you would have to build and test.

Here's an old thread where I was asking the same question about the same circuit, and PRR schooled me as usual:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=19546

Back