D-LA2A Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also missing the link switch can I use the same kind as the power switch? and hat are the molex part numbers for the little metal pins that go inside the connectors? AND do I need a special tool to assemble the connectors with the pins and wires?

Sorry also need a part number for the heat sink on the regulator! woo hoo! sexy sexy sexy!!! the gummi bears where delicious

Attachments

• IMG_20150209_171839324.jpg
    IMG_20150209_171839324.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
found the Molex part number for the connectors!!!

mouser # 538-08-52-0105

molex #08-52-0105

product desc: Headers & Wire Housings KK 254 CATEAR TERM 22-30A REEL OF 28000

Hi,

i finished the dla2a for a few weeks and today came the igs t4bx opto cells. the compressor pass audio on booth channels, absolutely no noise, gain and bypass works, but no compression! i read this thread up and down i turned the trimpots (stereo adj, zero adj) forward and backward, nothing. i opened one of the cells darkened up the room and the el panels are no flashing. i use the flashlight from my smartphone and shined to the optocells and the gain reduction is working and push the output signal.
i solder a trimpot in R125/225 with a value of 47k to match the t4b's is this maybe the error?

few weeks ago i start the compressor for the first time and this had very high hum on the right side. this was a bad contact on the heater voltage, this was the strongly twisted heater cable and i fixed this. maybe i have destroyed tubes ?
i change the tubes from the right to the left side and no compression.
Why do not light up the Panels?! hmmmm :eek:
Any ideas? :)

thanks eric 

Okidoki, got my first tests with one channel of the d-la2a...  all wires except the heaters + relay-ground are shielded and I still get a bit disturbing hum&noise :
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7FFtC26HAoKSHJUVnpKY05WTW8&usp=sharing

Is that normal? Sorry for the crappy "music".
oh, i have the feedback-resistor-mod...

EDIT: Could that hum come from the heater wiring? They're just straight connections, not twisted...
The hum changes when i move the input-Edcor ... :-/

OK pretty close to finishing up the D-LA-2A, I am searching for the pinouts/wiring info to go from the sowter pins on the boards to the edcor XMS trannies that are on the us bill of material. does some one have a cheat sheet for the various transformers out there as I may end upgrade the inputs in a few months to carnhill or sowter

and one more thing, what are the best spots for the input and output for the transformers to be positioned inside of the case?

OK I got some pix of the comp wiring that I would love for some people to proof and make sure i got the transformer wired correctly for the power switch!

Attachments

• IMG_20150301_191741450.jpg
    IMG_20150301_191741450.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 40
and the switch side, yellow and white together on one side of the switch and the green line is going to the (L) of the IEC jack, the other yellow and white of the transformer is going to the (N) of the IEC.

Attachments

• IMG_20150301_191807810.jpg
    IMG_20150301_191807810.jpg
    752.8 KB · Views: 25
and here is a shot of the molex connectors for the POTS, the white wire is the wiper and the red is one the 1 lug(Ithink)

Attachments

• IMG_20150301_191909529.jpg
    IMG_20150301_191909529.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
and here is a shot of the pots them selves, you can see also the VU meter with the 3k6 wired up and the gain pot is the 25k/75k mod

Attachments

• IMG_20150301_191830557.jpg
    IMG_20150301_191830557.jpg
    956.4 KB · Views: 66
curranm said:
yellow and white together on one side of the switch and the green line is going to the (L) of the IEC jack, the other yellow and white of the transformer is going to the (N) of the IEC.
wrong - DON˚T FIRE THIS UP
(actually nothing will happen, good luck this version isn't lethal, you are just shorting both primaries)
for 115V, both yellow are going together, and both white are going together!

AH HA!!!! I knew i would screw this up on the get go! I will flip wires today, On the stereo adjust wiring diagram, it says to only use one wire from each molex connector and to not use the ground side. So do I not connect the 2nd wire to anything at all?

fired her up and no explosions!!! woo hoo. passes signal in the left channel in bypass and IN mode, right channel only passes signal with IN mode engaged, does not pass signal in bypass mode. I am not really hearing any compression. i have played with the zero adjust and have it resting at 0vu in GR mode and Output mode. I have to turn the peak reduction almost all the way up  for the 1k sine way to drop the VU by 3db. I cannot get it to drop any more. I am sure I have the adjustments wrong at this point, BUT I feel like I should be hearing and feeling some compression. this is the same reaction for both channels with the 1k sine wave passing through it. I will say that the IGS T4B's are SUPER tight and not seated all the way in their sockets. it does not seem noisey or buzzy BUT I have no reference for noise floor.

Any way to see the signal in your daw instead of using your meters for right now, that will tell you how much compression is happening if any.  I would try to see what the issue with not passing audio when bypassed on the one channel is first then start seeing why no compression then make your final meter adjustment and stereo adj. 

-Scott

OK, I am thinking it is a molex issue BUT, I have redone the molex on the relay connectors twice now. How would I test for this? could one of the relays be bad on that side? seems like an odd issue to have, OR I need to check the diode polarity maybe on that side of the relay? I am sure I have that right, but a visual inspection will confirm this later today.  I am running the 5V off of the regulator and splitting it between the two switches.  I can post pix later today of what I am doing with the wiring. This beast feels pretty darn quiet. there is a little noise floor/hum but it does not seem out of line with a tube compressor like this

Im not sure how the relays work but you should be able to pass audio with the unit power off I believe.  I can't remember if that is true.  So if I doesn't pass audio when the unit is off then something is wired wrong on the bad channel.  Just the bypass does the same thing I think just with the power on.  Don't quote me though.

yeah when it is off it does not pass audio as well, the left side does, which is something I will look at in a bit! woo hoo, I am so excited to use this comp on my next session!!!!

saxmonster said:
... you should be able to pass audio with the unit power off I believe.  I can't remember if that is true.  So if I doesn't pass audio when the unit is off then something is wired wrong on the bad channel.  Just the bypass does the same thing I think just with the power on.  Don't quote me though
This is true

Latest posts

Back