DIY Studio Effects Units

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bahrens

I've done a little searching and I haven't seen any DIY-style effects units - something like an SPX-90 or similar.  Is no one doing these?  If not, why not?  Complexity?  Too many surface mount parts required?  If so, who's doing these and where?

Ben

i believe most of the people here are solder ronkers and not code crunchers. But a single sided pcb for a simple stereo analog in/out dsp driven system that can be programmed in C++ for the same price as an arduino (  ;) ) i'll be all over it. I think most people, especially programmers, don't even consider hardware as a platform since most dsp comes out as plug-ins.

greetings,

Thomas

Dale116dot7 was working on a DIY DSP reverb, but I believe he came to the conclusion that while he would continue to develop it, it would be cheaper to buy something off the shelf than to build something.  Maybe he'll chime in?

There's the SpinFX FV1 self-contained DSP chip that's supposedly really easy to work with, but I don't imagine it would produce anything to scare off Lexicon.  I have one in my parts drawers, but I haven't played with it yet.  Small Bear have them in stock if you're feeling game.

i think the cheapest way to dsp nirvana on a budget would be something like a sm pro V-machine and just start making vst plugins. Get a C++ compiler and the Steinberg VST SDK and of you go.

plus: SPX90's can be found dead cheap on ebay

not very diy but I don't think it's worth the hassle

Wavefront Semi (nee Alesis) make a 3 chip effects solution : AL1101 ADC, AL3201 DSP, AL1201 DAC. Add in a bit of filtering and a PSU and you're done - if reinventing Behringer is the goal :).
Wheel reinvention has become so much easier these days].
M

Curtis said:
Dale116dot7 was working on a DIY DSP reverb, but I believe he came to the conclusion that while he would continue to develop it, it would be cheaper to buy something off the shelf than to build something.  Maybe he'll chime in?

There's the SpinFX FV1 self-contained DSP chip that's supposedly really easy to work with, but I don't imagine it would produce anything to scare off Lexicon.  I have one in my parts drawers, but I haven't played with it yet.  Small Bear have them in stock if you're feeling game.

tonepad also has a project for a reverb pedal using that chip (iirc).

Digital units are not as much fun to build and are readily available...
As for diy effects, tape delays and spring reverbs are good candidates, I pesonally plan to make some, once I'm done with other projects...

Arno said:
plus: SPX90's can be found dead cheap on ebay

I think you mean:

"SPX90's can be found dead, cheap on ebay"

(note the inserted comma!)

;D

Seriously though, I remember when the SPX90 came out, I thought it was okay for something cheap, but you couldn't PAY me to use one now... -If I had one I'd give it away. -The only people who ever thought they were any good were people who couldn't afford anything better.

Just a contrasting viewpoint...

Keith

SSLtech said:
Seriously though, I remember when the SPX90 came out, I thought it was okay for something cheap, but you couldn't PAY me to use one now... -If I had one I'd give it away. -The only people who ever thought they were any good were people who couldn't afford anything better.

What reverbs do you like the sound of?  I heard an SPX90 on a project a friend was doing and thought it sounded very nice.  I haven't used any other outboard reverbs, just TL Space, RVerb, and TrueVerb plugins but I've listened to a lot of nice sounding music and it seemed to do a very useable thing.  Not at all trying to be antagonistic, as I am one of those who hasn't heard anything else, just wanted to probe a little further.

bahrens said:
I've done a little searching and I haven't seen any DIY-style effects units - something like an SPX-90 or similar.  Is no one doing these?  If not, why not?  Complexity?  Too many surface mount parts required?  If so, who's doing these and where?

There was a project called the Chameleon which was an attempt at an open-source (hardware/firmware/software) effects box. It's based on a 56K DSP and also uses a ColdFire micro to do the user interface and MIDI.

All of the software tools are open-source or free, which is probably why they chose the 56K and not something newer.

It seems as if they aren't actually selling any hardware, and I don't see any schematics or Gerbers on the web site. I suspect that they couldn't get the quantities up to where the costs are reasonable.

-a

I agree with jackies,
  Some nice plate and spring reverbs, tape delays, etc. would be fun to build. Maybe some really sweet, clean BBDs for chorus, flange, phasers and the like.
  I know it's not what the original post was about, but I'd use that stuff. Got enough DSP stuff, and I'm kinda over the sound of things that have been through too many cheap AD-DA conversions.

Curtis said:

Actually, FV1 is IMHO fastest and most troublefree way to get into DIY DSP. Dale, who has worked exstensivly with Wavefront chip (as FV1 with less features), claims that this architecure is about equvalent in dsp power to Lexi 224. See this : http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/380233-reverb-subculture.html for a bit of Dales' work.

IMO FV1 has numerous benefits:
-On board stereo adc and dac
-Completely streamlined architecture for audio dsp work. This means you dont have to deal with comunicating with peripherials, readin pots, setting onboard subblocks like clock dividers and stuff. You have 128 instructions per sample that are sequentially executed, and which deal only with dsp.
-Some great instructions on board. For instance, you have single instruction chorus, log and antilog, wich could takeaway as much as 100 clock cycles on x86 architecture for example. Also dedicated single instructions for filtering (with posslibly two instruction second order filter).
-You have to work with asembly language but it is easy to use.
-You have 32Kwords of dedicated delay memory on board, with free single cycle access. Memory is based on reduced float format, some might consider this bug, I would consider it as feature (gritty stuff).

my 2 cents
Urosh

edit: for those who dont know, here is website: http://www.spinsemi.com/knowledge_base.html

I've been working on a Wavefront AL3102 based board for DIY DSP.  It's a 20-pin DIP with stereo audio in/out, 3 linear voltage regulators, CODEC with 48 kHz 24-bit sampling, and an Atmel AVR for programming FLASH memory with the DSP program and 5 pot (low speed A/D) inputs for updating the DSP program's parameters.  Power consumption is pretty low at 48 mA with 3.6V to 24V supply.

All you need to program it is the Python assembler/downloader (supplied with the board) and a USB to serial adapter (not supplied but they're cheap and readily available).  The Python code also has some example algorithms.

Here's some pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/111829367884437703386/NextAudioDigitalAudioSignalProcessor?feat=directlink

I've already posted info on the DIYSTOMPBOXES forum at: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84359.0

I'd be interested in comments and suggestions!

The TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - HAWKBOARD development kit probably has what you need for getting into DSP-based effects in a cheap and simple way

http://dk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1789013&cmp=e-73e5-00001008

But please don't underestimate the programming work that will go into developing a good-sounding reverb - the difference between cheap and expensive reverbs can't be explained by the hardware, AD/DA and DSP.

Jakob E.

Why instead of going the dsp way, dont you think in something like mxr, roland and A/DA analog choruses, flangers, phasers, filters and delays for line level input.

Latest posts

Back