News:

Smart Search:  If you're...
-not in a board, it will search the entire forum.
-in a board, it will search just that board.
-viewing a topic, it searches within that topic.

sethyrish

Re: Etching Own Face plates
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2009, 11:04:56 PM »
My understanding is that if the cathode is the same metal as the anode in the appropriate electrolyte eg brass or copper-brass or copper and copper sulphate solution, then you can re-use the solution indefinitely as the copper ions are being replaced. I just used a chrome oven shelf so eventually I'll need to replace the solution but I didn't have to worry about silver solder. I think lead solder contaminates the solution somehow.I don't really know a great deal about it. Also, for best results, the cathode should be slightly smaller than the anode. My set-up was the same as the picture except for the power supply. I stuck #2 to the panel with school book contact. Sticky cheap plastic stuff. Because it's a direct electrical process you don't need to worry to much about the back, as long as there's a electrical contact. The position of the cathode in solution is not important. Only the distance to the anode plays a part as to resistance etc. You can etch vertically.If your power supply is being over worked you can weaken your solution with water.

owel

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »
Thanks seth.  By next week, I'll probably get to try this.

kazper

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »
You wouldn't need to "bond" them per se, as the pots and nuts and other misc screws and fasteners would do that for you.

@Rob, i would think that using thin brass (like the Home Depot kickplate option) and some kind backing material would be cheaper than getting brass in 1/8" or thicker...

It sure would save a little bit oh money, but in the same aspect it's a cleaner way to go with an single piece. Let me go through the pain with my PM660 and I'll let you know if I would do it again.

Kaz
Intentionally left blank

Kid Squid

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
Absolutely stunning, Old bean  ;)

Totally inspiring work.

Steve :)
It is not the same as 4+12, nor is it the same as 4+8, but 4+12 IS the same as 4+8+12....

http://www.lazylizardlabs.com
http://www.iscreamforcrow.com
http://www.facebook.com/LazyLizardLabs

0dbfs

Nashville / Atlanta / Memphis / Austin
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »
Sounds like this may be very cool & repeatable for etching some nomenclature/logo/graphics into a mic body.

I think nail polish might also work as a resist.

Best,
jonathan
Music is everything!
Audio is everything else!

spase

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
i think you need to put a tutorial for this method.We ALL like this kind of front panels :))))

etheory

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
The results in this thread are completely gorgeous, and your design sense is impeccable.
Thanks so much for sharing!