Etching Own Face plates

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that if the cathode is the same metal as the anode in the appropriate electrolyte eg brass or copper-brass or copper and copper sulphate solution, then you can re-use the solution indefinitely as the copper ions are being replaced. I just used a chrome oven shelf so eventually I'll need to replace the solution but I didn't have to worry about silver solder. I think lead solder contaminates the solution somehow.I don't really know a great deal about it. Also, for best results, the cathode should be slightly smaller than the anode. My set-up was the same as the picture except for the power supply. I stuck #2 to the panel with school book contact. Sticky cheap plastic stuff. Because it's a direct electrical process you don't need to worry to much about the back, as long as there's a electrical contact. The position of the cathode in solution is not important. Only the distance to the anode plays a part as to resistance etc. You can etch vertically.If your power supply is being over worked you can weaken your solution with water.

Ptownkid said:
You wouldn't need to "bond" them per se, as the pots and nuts and other misc screws and fasteners would do that for you.

@Rob, i would think that using thin brass (like the Home Depot kickplate option) and some kind backing material would be cheaper than getting brass in 1/8" or thicker...

It sure would save a little bit oh money, but in the same aspect it's a cleaner way to go with an single piece. Let me go through the pain with my PM660 and I'll let you know if I would do it again.

Kaz

Back