Quadrant Fader / Stepped Ladder attenuator

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cfierik said:
Can anyone think of any potential hang-ups with getting the circuit to work with a pcb?

Although the first quadrant faders from Painton had studs for each position, the later type had a silver plated pcb with 'fingers'.  Actually, the photo you posted at the top of this thread is the pcb type.

Even later Painton's were just carbon track 10K audio taper types. 

The earlier types - as used on the REDD desks - were physically wider than the one you posted a pic of and also didn't have the clear perspex escutcheon but a black plate that was screwed on.  On photo's of the desks, you'll see that every five steps (except the last one of -65dB which happens after 4 positions, off being the next position) there is a dB of attenuation marking:  0, -5, -10, -15, -25, -40, -65 and off

Here are several examples of Painton types I have. Top left is the Daven copy I mentioned earlier, left bottom later Painton with silver traces. Right bottom earlier Painton (not as early as the version in REDD's) with studs. Top right is an Altec panner, the gold plated pcb is how Altec/Langevin did their step faders and eqs. All of these have bifurcated wipers.

Winston: I didn't know that Painton made carbon track quadrant faders as well, did these go into EMI and BBC consoles?

cfierik, I would love to see the fader you are working on.

Painton.jpg

jamesfei said:
Winston: I didn't know that Painton made carbon track quadrant faders as well, did these go into EMI and BBC consoles?

I don't know of these being used in EMI desks (not in TG or REDD anyway, can't say for sure with BRED?) but I've seen 'em in BBC desks and a Calrec that was also broadcast but had come from an ITV studio rather than the BBC.  This type of fader may have also been used elsewhere but I don't know for sure?

Thanks for the pics  :)

Some pics of a Daven 600/600 ladder. Note the unused contacts on the board.

Note as well the vast majority of rotary Daven are ‘better’ and more precise, using custom wire wound resistances rather than carbon like this.

4220435378_7a8006fca6_b.jpg

4219668199_db37d30aed_b.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back