Transistor manufacturer ? -(TO-202 case closed)-

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hi,

Bought some transistors and they look like pictured (TO-202). Was wondering which brand this actually is.
I browsed various logo-listings but no...

Logo best resembles that of 'Solid State Inc.' but not completely. Just curious.

Only datasheet I could find was one from Central Semiconductor Corp.

TO202.jpg

While at it, anyone can confirm the E B C pinning ?  (with C to TAB)

Put otherwise, anyone ever saw a TAB connected to anything else than to the Collector ?
The mentioned datasheet doesn't have pin-info and since I'll be putting many Volts on them....

Thanks !

Peter

Determine the leads with a transistor tester, then ohm meter from the tab to leads. I'd be surprised if the tab is anything but the collector.

Tab if connected is always the collector (in my experience). Base-emitter and base-collector diodes can be found with ohm meter so pin for base and collector can be empirically determined. The emitter, is the other one.

JR

Thanks all, this tells/confirms all  :)

Had done the Ohm-meter & -diode-checks to arrive at the assumed pinning, good to see the TAB-confirmation.
I couldn't find the Central-logo, I found various logo-overviews but CS wasn't there, thanks for the info.

Last but not least this pinning is in line with related/suggested replacement BJTs, so certainty is near 100%.

OK you BJTs, now be prepared for some Volts.

Thanks again all,

Peter

Back in the day we used to grind the top off of dead TO-3 metal can power transistors to analyze the failure modes.. You could literally see if a  lead wire melted, or if there was a voltage punch through (pin hole and melt region).
mj15003-2.jpg

Looking at the transistor on the left you can even see the fingers of the base (center wire) region, inter-digitated (?) with the emitter region (outer wire). The collector physically bonds to the case through the bottom of the die.

I have only tried to take apart a few plastic devices since it's hard to see anything, but the technology seems similar. Collector directly attached to the metal tab. 

JR

Latest posts

Back