How old are you?? How many yrs of recording do you have?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old enough to be older than the 20s and 30s...suddenly I'm a single man again and music is resurging and electronics is submerging. The air smells fresher now.

42y feels like 69  ;) pro from 19.  :p well, after more than 50 albums  I feel like too young to die too old to be alive  :D

I'm 44, started learning guitar when I was eight, and began home recording at around ten years old, on a domestic reel-to-reel.

My first 'pro' recording job was taping the School's Radio programmes for my school - sometimes I forgot to do it, as I used to daydream habitually in school ...  ;D

I grew interested in electronics while at school and would enthrall my friends by blowing up bits of solder with the mains! My first build was a three-way sound-to-light machine on perf-board that didn't work - too advanced for a first project!  For a while i gave up studying electronics to concentrate on music. I played in a lot of bands and cut my first record when I was 13.

I became a professional recording engineer after leaving school, and studied electronics along the way. Now I mostly repair and customise equipment for a living and record for fun - it's better that way, as I get to choose the projects I work on and work with people I like.  ;)

35, been pushing faders for local bands for about 10 years (live), and just starting to dive into the world of recording.

First time with "serious" soldering - about a month ago.

I'm also 43.  Started messing around with recording while in college--1984, so <mumble, mumble, carry the 1> almost 25 years.  Would stay up all night some weekends using the campus radio station's tiny production room with a friend who was also into music and DJed once a week (that got us access).  There was an 8 or 12 channel console in there with a 4-track Otari deck, a Lexicon PCM-42, and an Orban rack mount spring reverb.  The space was tiny--my friend would bring his Washburn Strat copy and a couple of pedals and I would have a borrowed Korg Poly-800 or, later, my 50lb Crumar Performer.  It was a great creative outlet.  Later the station engineer "upgraded" to a Tascam 8-track reel unit (forgot the model #).  Not as good as the Otari, but more tracks was worth it.  

In 1985 my friend got a Fostex 4-track cassette and I bought a DX-7.  We continued to mess around with music together, but never got serious until our senior year when we started a cover band with a bassist friend and a drummer we "auditioned."  We ended up writing a couple of originals and recorded them at the radio station at night.  They got a lot of airplay there which was fun.  We made the CMJ list a few weeks.  In hindsight I probably could have picked up some cool things that were discarded from the station over the years.  One of my other friends became the station engineer later on and also ran sound for many of our shows.  At the time I was pretty clueless about gear.

It's only been the past few years that I've gotten back into recording in any kind of semi-serious way--this group is probably the main reason for that.  However, it's still just a hobby for me.

A P

27, long time music listener and have played bass for about 14 years. Need for recording came along about 5 years back when I needed some way to express feelings n stuff and then I occupied my room mates computer that had Audiotrack maya and sm58 and I was hooked. I haven't been able to invest for recording space or fancy equipment until recently when I got decent job (been studying for years and now finishing my M.Sc). Still go no space other than rehearsal rooms in misc locations, but at least I've been getting some experience recording bands and real drums for my own stuff, yay :) Intriguing and obsessing scene, I hope I could do this for living some day so I wouldn't have to waste my time doing real work ;D Until that I'll enjoy music and recording as a hobby and keep investing.

Peace,
Teemu

Hi,

i am 44 now.

The first time i hold an iron , i was 10
Got my first Multitrack, a 6 Track Telefunken T9 1` at 19 (together with a soundcraft Series 1)

But doing semi pro classical recording since for 10 Years now.

Cheers, Peter

Latest posts

Back