Mic Splitter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laska

Hi all,
I need to build a 24 in/48 out splitter for recording live concerts by intercepting the FOH console snake; post breakout box.
The following schematic is obviously the easy way but 24 of them would soon add up, a lot of cash, so I want to construct 12 of them in an alternative style without tranny.
As can be seen the isolated output obviously doesn't carry the 48v phantom voltage; wouldn't be a pretty site seeing a couple of Radars' going up in smoke!

JENSEN-JT-MB-C-SPLITTER-SCHEMATIC.gif

My circuit design ability, at this stage, is sadly lacking, so, I would appreciate it if somebody could help me out with a transformerless design option?

More info on the above:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/mic_sp.html

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an005.pdf

Regards,
Tom

I don't think there is any way to gid rid of the tranny if you want isolation. In some situations (when I have no other choice) I have taken a post mic pre sends from FOH to my eqipment, and hope that once the engineer set the mic pre levels they don't change them for the rest of the show...

But if there is another way, I'd be interested in it too...

Nah Stephen,
Waste of gaffa....shove 'em in a large shoebox...rub some cheese in appropriate sized circles around the box & place box in a mouse prone area! Voila! Cable inputs.
Regards,
Tom

Hi Eric,
I have yet to meet a FOH faderman who keeps anything constant...part of the territory hey?...thus the need to get to the signal before the FOH box thingie with lots of knobs.
Hopefully someone here can come up with an answer?
Regards,
Tom

hmmmm. IN theory if your spliting the signal at the moc then you wouldn't be sending phantom to your radar. I recently recorded some live shows at a local club and they were already set up to do it with what the club called a broadcast box. According to them it split the signals at the source(mics) anyway long sotry short it didn't go down as easily as they said it would. Their snake had broken/bent pins causing shorts and other random problem. Weeks later and I am still trying to figure out if I was getting signal post FOH or from the mics. Reason I say that is cause I ended up doing a guitar center rental of 3 ADA8000 by Beringher and left phantom on, on all of them so I dunno fi signal was mic or line but it worked o.k. except for some mics that would cut in and out but not randomly would cut out for a whole song which has me pulling my hair out thinking it's post FOH feed and they lied yet I had to have the gain up alot on the berhinger so maybe was feed from the source? I dunno. Whirlwind makes spliter boxes that are pretty good for the most part just remove the whirlwind logo. They are pretty inexpensive. I canrent them out here for about 50.00 per 8 channels.

wouldn't be a pretty site seeing a couple of Radars' going up in smoke!

Are you splitting mic- or line-level signals? In the first case, I recommend a mic pre before your Radar. :wink: For the second, check Lundahl, Cinemag and Sowter for split trannies - these are mostly cheaper than Jensen and still OK. You want a max. level of +16 dBu @ 50 Hz for line level stuff. Check the Cinemag CMOL-2x600T2...

If you want it active, you simply need to build a mic pre with two or more independent outputs (and probably a "direct out" - a simple passive split before the pre). INA 103 would be a simple yet excellent option.

Samuel

I have done jobs like this with simple Y-cords.

As was said above,
you must get as close to the mic as possible and never rely on the FOH or Monitor Eng to NOT touch stuff.
I do FOH and if I need to do it ... I'll do it .. stuff your recording,
sorry but the show must go on.
When I'm recording I make myself independant of the FOH rig
... AND this goes for when I am both the Recording and the FOH Eng.

I've seen many methods work and I've seen those same methods fail. You can never know until you have it all plugged up. Your tool kit needs to have a few options and problem solvers to chose from.

good luck

Thanks Kev,

Maybe here's a simpler option than a Y-cord... :wink:

http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/albums/userpics/10006/SPLITTER-SCHEM.pdf

Regards,
Tom

You know, I reaaly can't understand all this snobbishness about Behringer products, and yet you will all use stuff 40-50 years old which looks dated and will still record the same mistakes you make. Sounds like a touch of "Emperor's new clothes" to me!
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
I was referring to the gaffa tape; not the Behringer DI/Splitter.
Thanks for your suggestion but it would not be suitable for a variety of reasons.
My apologies if I offended you & I would hope you do not percieve me as a snob!
Regards,
Tom

No - I am un-offendable either for myself or on behalf of other people! I am just trying to get to the bottom of this apparent distain for BEHRINGER products - or is it an in joke that I havn't appreciated?
Stephen

Back