gar2520 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure no component leads are touching topside. 

Check all diodes for correct orientation

Re check all transistors.  It's easy to mix em up.

Reflow any suspect joints and clean off the bottom of the board.  looks like a lot of solder splash.  Also a couple of leads look long

Check it under magnification and you'll see a lot more. 

Im crazy!

Im assembled 3 gar2520 and all three work but not propely!

They have some distorted sound!

I check all connection, shorts,all transistors are in good position!

And dont know what to do..... :( 

Cheers for the help guys! All sorted now.

It turns out my thorough visual inspection was not so thorough as i had accidentally mixed Q7 and Q8. Not the most fun task in the world trying to desolder them on such a tiny PCB.

Confidence in DIY restored!

Since resistors don't require polarity specific installation, is it ok that I installed some of the resistors with the lead in the circle of the pcb instead of the meat of the resistor in the circle?

Reverend said:
Since resistors don't require polarity specific installation, is it ok that I installed some of the resistors with the lead in the circle of the pcb instead of the meat of the resistor in the circle?
Like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 45
Hello everyone
I wonder if some one might offer some help with the recent Gar 2520 op amp I built
I purchased 2 from CAPI
Built them both and repllaced the 2 that I already had in a VC 528 . Well after some trouble shooting I found that one of the new GAR 2520 s has little or no out put. I have looked the build over and over and can't seem to find any errors as far as having a diode put in wrong or the wrong transistor in the wrong place. I have also compared it to a couple others I have and they look the same.

I have built several of the gar 2520 s as well as a few of the gar 1731 s
Any advice on how to trouble shoot the op amp?
Thanks for any help you can offer
Wnlively

Update
I have looked the 2520 over and over ,compared it to another 2520 I have and went back throug the build guide 3 times. I can't seem to find any issues.

Any thoughts

wnlively said:
Update
I have looked the 2520 over and over ,compared it to another 2520 I have and went back throug the build guide 3 times. I can't seem to find any issues.

Any thoughts

The most common reason for no output is a solder bridge between an input pin
and a part pad next to an input pin.  Use your ohm meter and check for shorts
using the same procedure thats in the gar1731 manual.

Best of luck wnlively..

GARY

I have checked all of the solder joints , pins for shorts and found nothing.
I have thought about replacing  Q7 & Q8 ( I have some spares)
Am I thinking right that the signal comes in on the 2 pins and goes out on the 4 pins or do I have that backwards .  I was wondering if I could shed a 0 db 1k signal and check for voltages at  Q 7 & Q8

I believe I can figure it out if maybe you could get me headed in the right  direction

Thanks
Wnlively

Hi Gary, I just finished soldering 2-gar2520. Excellent kit and great guide. The only thing I had a problem with was getting the pins just right. Is it recommended to solder pins from the top or bottom? I applied solder to both sides and wicked off any excess. So far they are doing there job in my 2-TB550a.

gar381 said:
5) Its a good idea to solder the millmax pins both top and bottom.
What does this mean in practice? I can't see a bottom side of the PCB any folio around millmax pins which a pin could be soldered. Could you please post the picture as an example?

I soldered the millmax pins to the PCB in same method like chunger. So that the pins are attached to the PCB of VP28  during soldering.  See pics. (Thank you chunger for your good pictures).

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 48
drumski said:
gar381 said:
5) Its a good idea to solder the millmax pins both top and bottom.
What does this mean in practice? I can't see a bottom side of the PCB any folio around millmax pins which a pin could be soldered. Could you please post the picture as an example?

I soldered the millmax pins to the PCB in same method like chunger. So that the pins are attached to the PCB of VP28  during soldering.  See pics. (Thank you chunger for your good pictures).

In practice using the chunger method should be all you need to do as this works very well.  The original idea of soldering top and
bottom ( in 2009) was to keep the pins from pulling out of the PCB when removing the DOA from a module.  If the pin
is well soldered in place this should never be a problem.

Hope this helps

GARY

Hi  Chaps,

Having just built 10 of these, I thought I would pass on some thoughts of how to approach them as I managed to get all of mine working first time (Yippee!!!!)

Firstly, use a method and stick to it: I use small margarine tubs for each step of Gary's assembly instructions and just put that step's components in it.  Bring each tub over to the workspace for each step, use the components from it, double check before inserting them into the board. It sound laborious and takes longer, but it worked for me and avoids the need for any fault finding later.  Then swop that tub for the next step's and repeat.

Use the thinnest solder you can find and a very fine soldering iron.  Use a magnifying headset in conjunction with a good lamp over you work.

Insert the components for that step.  Trim the component leads with a good sharp set of fine side cutters, and clean all the flux off the board with Isopropyl NOW.  Check the work for that step  there and then, correct any mistakes before moving on to the next step.

Always have an empty pcb to hand.  This allows you to test if two pads are connected or not.  For example, some of small caps are really close to the Millmax pins and the solder may look as if you have made a solder short.  Use a meter to check on the blank pcb if the short should be there or not.

Build yourself a jig using Millmax sockets on strip board (Veroboard).  This has two purposes: firstly it serves to help you line up the pins vertically before soldering in - see below on this, and secondly use it to implement a simple circuit such as a non-inverting amp of 6dB gain to test your finished work.

Use a signal generator as an input and a scope on the output if you can.

If you can,  use a lab power supply that you can ramp up slowly.  As you turn the voltage up, you will see less than 10mA being used up to about 9 volts.  The output signal on the scope will be fuzzy and distorted up to this point.  At about 9 volts the scope signal should start to become sharp and defined with the required gain.  At about 14 volts, the current goes to about 20 mA and at 18 volts will just click into 30mA. 

Any more current at the above voltages, or a distorted output at greater than 9 volts  and you have a problem.

Always ramp the power down when you change the amps for testing.

When you have a good working amp,  use this as your reference in case you suspect your test jig.  This happened to me from inserting and pulling the amps and it turned out to be one of the strips on the strip board had a minute crack.

Regarding the  Millmax pins, I put them in the socket on the jig, used a flux pen to smear flux over the the top of the pin and then just a tiny dab of solder to  'tin' the rim  that connects to the underside pad on the pcb.  I then put the pcb over the pin, applied solder from the top and pushed the pcb down.  Do this one pin at a time.  This then ensured that the underside pad was soldered to the Millmax pin and very cleanly.  Clean the board with Isopropyl, check your work using the blank pcb for shorts  if you need to and then move on to inserting the components.

I am very pleased with the results (thanks Gary)  and am sure that sticking to a method is 90% of the job.

Cheers, Mike

Sounds like you're applying signal to the op amp and then ramping the power supply voltages up. Don't do that!! Any input voltage greater than +V (or less than -V) will cause problems, and when +V and -V are zero, then you're asking for trouble applying any signal. Not sure if you're ramping up from zero, or from some sensible voltage that is actually safe, but someone out there might get the idea that it's OK to slow start the power supply voltages from 0V with signal applied - a dangerous thing.

It's not like some dusty old power amp with ancient and frail electrolytics that might benefit from a slow start. Just apply the test PSU voltages and be done. No measurements need or should be done until it's at 'spec' power supply voltages. A lab supply with a programmable current limit is a good idea though.

I recently blew up an LME49990 by forgetting to turn the generator off before I turned the lab style power supply's outputs off. Powering it back up, the circuit and IC still worked, but the distortion is now 0.18% instead of 'unmeasurable'. Ooops! I guess the input stage of that amp has been 'rewired'… into the lead waste jar!

so, along those lines, I should not speak into any connected microphone before powering up a pre-amp  or power up outboard equipment before a mixing console.  :)

I think the 2520 are a bit sturdier that you propose otherwise their reliability would be quite bad.

14 built so far and no problems yet - all on spec.
Happy listening
Mike

Just finished making one of these. Im new to DIY and got to tell you this wasnt as bad as i thought, although when i hooked it up i heard nothing. So after reading through this thread i discovered that i had indeed mismatched Q6 & Q9. So i corrected that problem and checked to see if it worked and it still didnt. So i wasted more time trying to figure out what Q1 & Q2 meant by hfe. (As i found out this doesnt apply if you buy the kit from Jeff that includes all the components. Hooked it up again and still nothing. I finally figured out that you are not supposed to solder the top row of the three pushbutton switches like a lot of photos almost suggest. After i figured that out the preamp worked like a dream! I guess that was my noobie mistake but it did waste a lot of time (several hours trouble shooting!) So hopefully if there are others out there like me this can help save you some time!

Just built 2x GAR2520. My second experience with DIY, after building a couple of VP312 (with premade SL2520 red dot).

Bot worked straight away.

I inserted all the millmax sockets into the VP312 (having taken out the SL2520) and slided the pcb over the sockets and soldered from above. All other soldering from the bottom of the pcb. Sorted all components according to place on PCB before starting. Used small conical tip, high heat (about 420C, 450 on the sockets) and 0.5mm solder (60/40). Used a tooth-brush and electronics-cleaner to clean backside of board of flux and/or small pieces of solder.

Pretty stoked that they both worked straight away, no problems whatsoever. Just that I need something to use them in... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 63
Back