Adding sidechain feature to the Mnats 1176 Rev D build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

Is there an instruction somewhere on how to add sidechain to the Mnats 1176 Rev D build like they have on the Purple audio MC77. I just noticed the MC77 had the stereo link and sidechain features, so I am wondering whether it was possible on the Mnats 1176 Rev D.

Thanks

that feature is not built in on the mnats PCB, so you would need to connect the extra components on a piece of perf board or make your own PCB.  not difficult if you know what you're doing, just follow the schematic published in the MC77 manual.  if you've never built anything before, i suggest a different project.

ed

edanderson said:
that feature is not built in on the mnats PCB, so you would need to connect the extra components on a piece of perf board or make your own PCB.  not difficult if you know what you're doing, just follow the schematic published in the MC77 manual.  if you've never built anything before, i suggest a different project.

ed
It's too late, I am in too deep  :eek:
ed, how about the stereo link feature, is that easy to implement into the Mnat 1176 Rev build?

you're not in very deep if you're asking this question.

download the original 1176 manual from the JBL site:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/UREI-1176LNmanual.pdf

"easy" answer: connect point 7 on the two PCBs together.  this will only work if your FETs are well matched.  if they are not matched, you will need something to account for the difference in DC bias between the two PCBs.  the 1176SA circuit in the manual will do this, crudely.

download the MC77 manual from the purpleaudio.com site.

"complicated" answer: build the opamp based circuit in the MC77 schematic.  more complicated, but this actually works, and does not change the attack and release settings.

that is all the help i can give on this topic.

ed

I think ed has given you all you need to know. Look at the mentioned schematics, and think about it. You will figure it out soon.

;)

/J

I had a look at it? I can't see any diagrams or instructions on the sidechain? If anyone has made their own lay-mans version of how to add the sidechain, it would be great if you can show me.  :)

canidoit said:
I had a look at it? I can't see any diagrams or instructions on the sidechain? If anyone has made their own lay-mans version of how to add the sidechain, it would be great if you can show me.  :)

Go to the REV D build thread and post your question.

All of these top level REV D topics don't belong here.

Just because you don't like the system doesn't mean you get to reinvent it.

Mark

Back