Is this normal, 1176 input/output knobs do not align with legending on Purusha??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

I have the input and output knobs that when you align it for 0, and then turn it to maximum (infinity), it is short by about one marker. So it lands between infinity and six?

It must be the pots? I mean it maxes out short. Is there such pots that actually make the full distance matching the legending or is this normal even on the re-issues or original 1176 units?

That's normal.

The UREI scale is set for about a 320 degree rotation.  

Most off the shelf pots offer at the most 300/305.

Mike

PS:  You REALLY need to start posting your 1176 questions to the general 1176 thread.  Starting new topics every time makes the info less centralized for users and will annoy they hell out of people.

Echo North said:
That's normal.

The UREI scale is set for about a 320 degree rotation.  

Most off the shelf pots offer at the most 300/305.

Mike

PS:  You REALLY need to start posting your 1176 questions to the general 1176 thread.  Starting new topics every time makes the info less centralized for users and will annoy they hell out of people.
Mike, thanks : ) but it's frustrating having one thread to cover the 1176 rev D that is made up of hundreds of different questions and answers. You have to read peoples others questions and answers to find the answer to your question if there is any to date.

DIY is meant to be fun but its frustrating when information is not using a better system that can be obtainable.

eg.

The 1176 Rev D should not be a thread. It should be a category or sub category on its own where people can post threads of individual questions relating to the 1176 Rev D making it easier for everyone to source out a particular answer for their issues instead of reading hundreds of questions and answers trying to find the answer to their questions in one thread.

An example of this, is the Drips forums. See how each model is a category. eg. the La2a category, you can go into that category and  browse the La2a category for individual threads and try to find a thread relating to the question you may have. It makes searching easy.

All due respect to the Forum owners, but I think the builds suppliers here, especially those that have been providing their builds on a regular basis should have a Category of their own especially since they are "donating" to the forum and there really isn't much build models here if you think about it so it would not overcrowd the forum with categories/sub categories.

This would make it alot easier for DIY virgins such as me. Just a thought.

Thanks everyone who has helped me in my questions though : ))))

canidoit said:
It should be a category or sub category on its own where people can post threads of individual questions relating to the 1176 Rev D making it easier for everyone to source out a particular answer for their issues instead of reading hundreds of questions and answers trying to find the answer to their questions in one thread.
I agree... I love this forum, and the suggestion of a breakdown by project would make searching easier.

oh no, if you search for the answer to your question, you MIGHT end up reading the answer to a question you didn't ask yet!!!

mr. doit, the answer to the question in your name is "YES... but you may have to exert yourself more than you'd like" -- the perils of a free (to the reader) resource!

i agree with you that sometimes it can be difficult to find the exact, neat, answer to a specific question... that is only a problem if your intention is not to "waste" time reading, experimenting, and learning about audio electronics, and only finish a unit without thinking too hard.

it is a delicate balance, but while i have learned a lot from the discussions here, i have probably learned just as much or more from NOT finding the answer here, going back to my bench and spending many frustrating hours to figure things out on my own... aka "Do It Yourself" not "Do exactly what someone else tells you to do"

bit of a rant, but what i'm trying to say is, you (or anyone sufficiently motivated) CAN finish any project here; many have and there is a LOT of information to sift through.  keep at it and please try to work within this imperfect system -- unless you can contribute to improve it somehow, perhaps through action and not JUST throwing out ideas. 

perhaps you'd like to make a list of projects that should have their own subforum?  and then help move all the threads for each one into new subforums?  there are META threads that are similar to what you suggest, though your idea may work better for searching.  what you're suggesting will never happen if there is no one to make it happen...

good luck!

ed

edanderson said:
it is a delicate balance, but while i have learned a lot from the discussions here, i have probably learned just as much or more from NOT finding the answer here, going back to my bench and spending many frustrating hours to figure things out on my own... aka "Do It Yourself" not "Do exactly what someone else tells you to do"

I second that, exactly what I've learned here :). I often got very good hints in this forum, but learned more by debugging, reading schematics etc....

One of the things I use is the "Scrapbook" application.

http://mikeinak.googlepages.com/home

It's a bit of work to setup, but once you get it going, it makes searching long threads for specific words a piece of cake.

The problem with posting a bunch of new topic questions, is that eventually people will tune you out and it will be hard to get help.

That said I'm happy that you are giving it a go and I know that you can do it!  Asking questions is great, I just think in the long run it's best to use the G1176, Rev D, Rev A or Rev F support thread.  If you are asking a general question, The "All Things G1176..." thread is the place.  There are lots of very smart people who answer questions in there all the time.

Good luck!

Mike

Mike

There is a very simple way to look through the megathreads.

1. Click the "Print" link at the top right of the posts on any page of the thread. This will provide a single page version of the entire thread.
2. Press Ctrl+f (Windows/Linux) or Command+f (OS X) and type a single word most related to your query.
3. Press enter.
4. Cycle through the matches by pressing Ctrl/Command+g

andrew_k said:
There is a very simple way to look through the megathreads.

1. Click the "Print" link at the top right of the posts on any page of the thread. This will provide a single page version of the entire thread.
2. Press Ctrl+f (Windows/Linux) or Command+f (OS X) and type a single word most related to your query.
3. Press enter.
4. Cycle through the matches by pressing Ctrl/Command+g

Oh that's right!

This is a new feature since switching to the simple machines forum. 

Good point...much easier.

Mike

I do not understand why people are defending a format that clearly can be improved?

Improving this format would actually increase people getting into DIY rather than scare them. The first time people informed me that I have to read all 44 + pages of the 1176 rev D thread, it made me very hesitant to pursue the project. I had actually considered getting into DIY years ago but was really hesistent with some of the loose and unorganised information on this site.

Now I decided to do it, because of the few people that I spoke to who was very assuring and helpful and so I read the 1176 rev D thread and to be honest, alot of it I should not have had to read or read in due time if I did encounter the same issue. All that information in one thread unorganised just makes it confusing with an overload of information for someone new.

The format can be improved and defending it saying it's a great way to learn as it is, is not actually helping progress and helping to make DIY more attractive to anyone.

I would compare all "xxxx threads" as a dictionary with the contents arranged in random order. Next time you pick up a dictionary, ask yourself, wow, this dictionary would have been better if it was in random order so that more people can learn more about other words that they do not want to know about.

canidoit said:
I do not understand why people are defending a format that clearly can be improved?

Who is defending the forum format here? Only thing I read in this thread is people making the best out of a situation. As it is now, we're stuck with this format here and instread of whining about it you can actually turn this into something positive.
I think people here are aware that the format can be improved, and that it will be improved. But for now, we have to deal with it. This also means that questions should be placed in related help threads, to keep the forum from clutering.
These help threads can be seen as a sub category and can be searched as described above. I don't think this is very dificult.
DIY is not meant to be easy or fun. It's about creativety, learning and persistence. If you're scared for these things than DIY is not for you.....but if you're not scared and succeed the reward will be fun.

As it is now, the forum is going into a direction where people will be complaining that there are not enough pre assembled kits for sale.... :'(

edanderson said:
... if you search for the answer to your question, you MIGHT end up reading the answer to a question you didn't ask yet!!!

But you might as well end up not finding what you were looking for.... Browsing a 100+ pages thread can certainly be scary and it might seem more efficient to just ask the same question again and again. Not saying this was good, but I can understand it.

We're getting totally OT here, but maybe there can be a development into a wiki, where people can add and edit their experiences for certain projects. If people would pick up on the idea it could create kindof 'DIY manuals' for certain projects. Someone just recently did that around here, lets see how it turns out.

Regarding the pots, I just figured out that mine have an angle of 295 degrees, so there seem to be quite some different types out there. So it is probably a case of having to find the right pot for the case if you want it to be perfect. Maybe Perusha could explain, what brand he had in mind?

Michael

canidoit said:
The first time people informed me that I have to read all 44 + pages of the 1176 rev D thread, it made me very hesitant to pursue the project.

oh boohoo!  :-[

you know what I did instead whining about not getting someone else to build a project for me? I not only read all the directly related threads in meta, but all the somewhat related upgrade, mod and idea threads. Yes it's a chore, but you've been here for months. You obviously have the time.

For me that was about 2006. I was a complete beginner, who did not know ohms laws, or the difference between AC and DC.

And guess what, I don't have to do that anymore. Any single combined SSL/1176/LA2A thread combines all these complete beginner questions, and then repeats them over and over and over again. And that's great, because at least they're in a single easy to find place.

At some point I was going to suggest there should be a beginners forum, but actually, all the info is in those massive SSL/1176/LA2A threads. All the favourites from wiring a PSU trafo to ordering parts and using a multimeter, the stuff I'd now shrug away as chaff.

And when you finally start reading the big threads, anytime you stumble upon a point that is even remotely interesting, copy that part to a note (1176 notes.txt). You'll find this file will become invaluable. Do it for all the projects you ever build.

As for suggestions on doing a wiki of these. We have one already, and that's the meta. Nobody is going to find the time to get this stuff into any cleaner format.

[edit]

ok so this turned into a rant. sorry. rant over.

canidoit said:
Option A - Respect a community/resource and and suggest improvements in the correct place and manner.
Option B - Do things as you want, then insist your approach is better after being called on it.

One option is generally viewed as attempting to contribute, the other... not so much.

Call me old fashioned (I'm only 29), but I wade through the big threads with a pen, a piece of paper, and a cup of coffee (sometimes beer). There are perhaps pages of "useless" information, but when I see something useful I write it down... ie "Page 10 - R21 mismarked" ... then that piece of paper stays in my files.

I think the format is fine. Having a seperate forum group for a particular project that makes a project stand out from the rest is a step in the wrong direction.

Kingston said:
As for suggestions on doing a wiki of these. We have one already, and that's the meta. Nobody is going to find the time to get this stuff into any cleaner format.
The easiest way to get this into a cleaner format is categories/sub categories per models/builds.
1176 Rev D as a category. DLA2a as a category, g1176 as a category, etc all under a section called builds or models for example.
Then people place threads inside that category which makes it into a better format of information relating to that build. People can skim thru the threads in a category like a content list and go inside the thread to read more about it if they wish.

Anyways, I am going to start soldering. :)

Thanks for all the opinions, rants and help   ;)

I see your point...

...but in the end your still going wind up with pages and pages of questions (now seperate topics) that you'll have to sift through. Or one could just not read any of the topics and just ask their question (already answered many times) as a seperate topic. I don't see how this would be any better.

Just to return to the original question (!),
I have an original Urei 1176 blackface and the knobs don't exactly align with the legending either.
And by the way, they don't on my original LA3A's!

I think Mike from Hairball got it spot on. Maybe Urei very original pots were 320 degrees.

barclaycon said:
Just to return to the original question (!),
I have an original Urei 1176 blackface and the knobs don't exactly align with the legending either.
And by the way, they don't on my original LA3A's!

I think Mike from Hairball got it spot on. Maybe Urei very original pots were 320 degrees.
Thats re-assuring. I was about to paint strip some of the  legending on the case. I may have to remove the "off" writing on the attack.
BOM list did not include the potentiometer with SPDT when I was ordering. For a less than $5 pot, its going to cost me about $40 US to ship it to me since Australia do not have any.  :-[

You know who makes the most money out of this DIY thing, it's the damn Parts Suppliers with their overcharged shipping costs!  :mad:
Who do you know has the ability to charge $30-$40 US dollars to send over a $1 capacitor????

Will paint stipper work on removing the legending on Purusha's case or will that remove the white and leave an engraved like shadow?

Greg said:
but I wade through the big threads with a pen, a piece of paper, and a cup of coffee (sometimes beer). There are perhaps pages of "useless" information, but when I see something useful I write it down... ie "Page 10 - R21 mismarked" ... then that piece of paper stays in my files.

I do something similar but I use a program called Info Select to store the collected info.  It's easy to search through and once I get it organized I make it a Word file that is project specific.  It actually doesn't take long at all and I then have a pretty thorough set of notes for each project I've built.

Cheers,
--
Don

Back