Suggestions for DIY 5-channel studio power amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickjam

Needing to upgrade for surround projects, I had installed a set of Tannoy Reveal 6 passive monitors (using a Reveal 6 for center channel--not a Reveal 66)

For expedience (and budget) I've been driving them with a fairly decent Denon consumer A/V receiver.  The longer I'm using this setup, the more I'm hearing the shortcomings in the power amp.  Although it "sounds good," it's a bit too muddled and compressed for critical monitoring.  I compared monitoring stereo L/R only thru the receiver vs. an old Alesis Matica 500 and the difference was like night and day.  (although some of that could be the headroom of an amp that's too powerful for the monitors.)

Since getting the monitors, I've re-cased my DAW server, leaving me with this really nice empty 5-unit rack chassis that's built like a tank and equipped with a front-mounted filtered fan bay.  This got me thinking again about building a 5-channel studio amp.

Any suggestions (and schematic links) for proven studio-quality power amp designs that would best match up with these Tannoy monitors?  Here's a document with the freq/impedance curves and specs on the monitors (PDF page 6; printed pages 10-11)

Thanks!

-Bob

if your willing to go to class D, in a few days, we'll be releasing hte TAS5630 analog input 600W class D amp.
At lower power levels, distortion is down at 0.03%

/R

Rochey said:
if your willing to go to class D, in a few days, we'll be releasing hte TAS5630 analog input 600W class D amp.
At lower power levels, distortion is down at 0.03%

/R

Oooh!  You think five units would be pushing it for a sample order?  ;D

Back