Phono preamp too loud

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nele

Hi guys,
I just finished building my point-to-point phono preamp (the phonodude, 2006 version) and I have the problem that it's output is too loud for my diy-linepreamp (pass bride-of-zen). Any suggestions on how to attenuate?

cheers,
Corneel

from the bride of zen pdf:

Normally you see the volume control potentiometer at the input to the preamp circuit, and in this
way you can insure that the input will not be overloaded. Placing the potentiometer at the output
has two advantages, however, the first being that all circuit noise will be attenuated as the volume
setting is reduced. Placing the volume control at the output allows the input of the gain stage to
look directly at the source. This improves the bandwidth and distortion of the circuit by
providing a lower RC figure for the input capacitance of the MOSFET. If you desire to place a
potentiometer at the input of the circuit, feel free to do so before the input coupling capacitor in
place of R107.

CJ!
It's transformerless (check schematic here) but I've heard of some people using it on their medium-output MC-cartridges. It's a very nice preamp and not too hard to build. After burn-in it's really starting to sound nice.
The designer has also recently issued an update with different tubes and with less gain. Some other people where also having gain-issues.

Adios,
Corneel

Back