Bargain bin

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iomegaman

GDIY Supporter
Sometimes I stop by the local university's "Surplus Sales Center"...where a lot of stuff gets recycled back into the community on penny's for the dollar...picked up 4-SM57's and stands for $20.00 (total, $5.00 a piece) last year, found my Sony MXP there for $100.00...

My current rack unit (60ru with a slant top) I picked up for $20.00 and it included 2 power conditioner bars (they have 4 of these left for about a year now)...bought my first Mac G3 for $75.00 several years ago...

Today I picked a racked pair of Dorrough loudness meters (Model 40-A 2 of them in a single rack)for $20.00...sometimes it pays to be thrifty.

Wow, well done.  Great purchase!

Not sure if this ebay auction represents the going rate - haven't looked at these in a while.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dorrough-40-A-40-A-Analog-Loudness-Meter!-Nice!_W0QQitemZ290325587224QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090620?IMSfp=TL090620146005r37884

If you decide to recycle one of them back into the community let me know!  These would be great for my mastering work  :) 

Cheers,
Ruairi

ruairioflaherty said:
Wow, well done.  Great purchase!

Not sure if this ebay auction represents the going rate - haven't looked at these in a while.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dorrough-40-A-40-A-Analog-Loudness-Meter!-Nice!_W0QQitemZ290325587224QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090620?IMSfp=TL090620146005r37884

If you decide to recycle one of them back into the community let me know!  These would be great for my mastering work  :) 

Cheers,
Ruairi

Page won't load, but they are exactly like the ones on ebay going for $249.00 except there are two of them in a rack set.

As I look at the manual it allows me to to do 2 sets of metering, each meter does left/right.

I plugged it in it seems to work, I need to wire something up and check the calibration on it.

But like I said if the other one is available on Friday I'll pick it up for you and we can do some sort of trade or something...it seems the other one had both XLR and a 9 pin connectors on the back.

iomegaman said:
You know there may have been another set, it looked different, I'll go check for you on friday...if its there I'll  pick it up for you.

That would be fantastic!  Here's hoping.

I have many nice things in my DIY drawers so we can definitely work out a trade.

Thank you!
Ruairi

It was an MXP21 which needed the power supply rebuilt, I have since recapped it all and it sounds great (really decent eq's and I have replaced some of the opamps with newer AD stuff).

The thing is a lot of universities have surplus departments where things are recycled, servers, desks, etc...

another good place to search is http://www.publicsurplus.com/ which is all gov't (local) type stuff I've seen Soundcraft big consoles there as well as lots of video from police departments...great place to buy your kids their first car, usually can get a decent well maintained city/state vehicle for 2k or less, drill presses and even real estate...

Latest posts

Back