G 1176 Compressor Complete ... Pics !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="nrgrecording"]Frontpanelexpress engraved?[/quote]

Yes, I took the .fpd file from you site and made a few modifications to fit my exact panel. I also slightly changed the text. I changed all the widths from 1 to 0.9, and increased the size by 0.5mm to 1.5mm. I did this because I thought the text was a little bit squashed as it originally was. But I must say the file on your site definitely was helpful. Thanks! I think I also moved the "Input" and "Output" to the left by 3mm to 5mm, maybe more... I don't remember.

Cool.
I found that the best way is to set the text alignment to center position. So the preference poinst are in the middle of the text and thats easier to use i think.
It looks really like the nice gyraf design. Even the ratio settings. :roll: (I asked about changing the lettering from 1:4 to 4:1 in a thread... but there was no reaction about it, anyway my g1176 has the same lettering :green: )

@ nrg:
oh yea, I did also set the text alignment to center. Then you can just change the size, the width, and see directly how it will look. My panels were on their way back when you mentioned that the ratio setting were actually reversed. I think it would be great if they were changed.

Hey Greg,
i don't want to hijack the thread, but IIRC u have the "earlier" rev of the boards [the ones from Gustav] & i want to ask if have had any hum problems? did u just cut the traces as described in one of the threads here? i have one of those boards too, but haven't started it yet & i am wondering if it would just be easier to buy the newer rev board from mnats.

thanks,
-Dave

I did have some hum problems, but I think I resolved them. I will know for sure this afternoon when I get it back into my studio. If you haven't started, I would recommend getting the mnats boards, which also have the output trafo in a 1:2 configuration stock on the board (ie +6dB more gain). Right now, mine's in the 2:1 stock Gyraf position. Once my hum is under control, I plan to do the gain mod by changing the orientation of the output trafo. And also his PCBs are set up for the BD135/BD136 output transistors. I had to swap two of the legs on mine b/c Gyraf has the BD517/518 pair on his board.

I had already started building this when mnats came out with his boards, but if I build another I will definitely use mnats boards... that is... if he makes another batch.

Here's what I did for the hum:
1. Hitchiker trace cut.
2. Shielded cable on I/O
3. Ground strap
4. Star ground

Well done Greg! It looks awesome. Damn...I have to get going on mine. I still can't find anyone who's done just the transformer input, instead of the 5532. That's kind of been holding me up.

Anyway, care to share your front panel file with the rest of us?? :) That's a par-metal case right? That's also the one I plan on buying.

Thanks,

Jay :guinness:

[quote author="Greg"]

Here's what I did for the hum:
1. Hitchiker trace cut.
2. Shielded cable on I/O
3. Ground strap
4. Star ground[/quote]

Did you have the Hitchiker cut done when you still had hum problems? A better question, what had you already done when you had hum?

Thanks,

Jay

Tubejay:
Here's one with the input trafo:
http://www.digital-synthologie.de/1176/index_mk2.html

That is a Par-metal chassis, and I can post the frontpanel file when I get some time later today. If I forget, please remind me. One suggestion: I think for the pots I had a 10mm hole cut, which gives them a some play, so it's pain to get them perfectly centered. Check the specs for whatever pots you use and change the hole size to exactly what you need.

Regarding hum... yes I had the hitchiker cut done and still had some hum problems. Then I added the shielded I/O cables, ground strap, and star ground. I might also recommend re-orienting the board so the input and output wires are as short as possible. Hindsight... but then the secondaries of the power trafo will need a longer run.

Costs less?

What's the disadvantage to using one? :wink:

You say tomatoe, I say tomotoe....

ju

[quote author="fum"]
Costs less?

What's the disadvantage to using one? :wink:
[/quote]

Strangely, I see your point. :)

I assumed the 'original' (whatever that is) used an input transformer and then someone figured, "hey I can eliminate the transformer by doing x,y,z, etc." But for *sonic* 'improvement' - that word being subjective - or just to save some dough.

I just did some searching and found this from the mnats rev. G board:

"Which components can I eliminate if I want to use the transformer input on my 1176?" Answer: IC 2; R1-A, B, C, D, E; R3; R4; C*4; C30; C31; C32; C33; C34; C100; C101.

I don't know if this is true or just a random example to demonstrate the efficiency of using part references on the board. But I would gladly pay more for a transformer if it simplifies the circuit by 15 parts. (More places to screw up.) Being a complete newb, that's a major consideration.

Still building my parts list...
Still reading through TONS of random snippets of advice and warnings here in the lab... It's daunting.

Kato

Back