How many tie lines do you have in your studio?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

So I'm ready to install tie lines in the studio.  I already have 24 channels going from the XLR/TRS patchbay back to the TT patchbay.  I started to use those bidirectionally so that I could send stuff back to the other room but I've found that all those cables going into the patchbay really got in my way.  So now I'm going to do a separate patch panel for lines that will go back to the live room from the control room. 

I am planning on doing 8x TRS/stereo 1/4" and 4x 4 contact Speakons.  This way I can send 16 mono/8 stereo line level signals and 8 power signals from amps to their cabinets in the other room.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

It is always specific to the rooms and the usage.  I had to run A800 remote lines on DL's to each room so that the group could arm tracks and hit record from the studio.  So often I install tielines, all types, that never get used.  The client plans for everything against better judgement, and uses maybe 1 in 10 lines. 
Since you are doing it for yourself, you will get closer to installing what you might actually use.  Commercial places usually want at least one video line to each room/booth, sometimes AES/EBU, some want unbalanced guitar runs (I discourage long runs), and usually speaker lines terminated with 1/4" connectors instead of speakons.  You made your own headphone system, so perhaps put that on a dsub.
I like CAT5 run around the place because of what you can do with the myriad of balun products out there, and, a hard line is better than wifi.  A lot of sessions will use the live room as a suite or office during a mix lockout.  It all depends on use.
Mike

Good advice.

All of the XLR stuff is wired through digital snake so I could use that for AES/EBU.  The TRS lines going back from the control room are roughly 18ft so I'm not too worried about balancing them but they are wired as balanced/stereo.

But you just gave me the best advice, going DSUB on the headphone cables.  I was simply going to hard wire them but I like the idea of having a plate and a DSUB where I can plug into if I need it.  thanks!

Latest posts

Back