Calrec vs. Neumann EQ-shootout !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telmar

Hi folks !

I did a Gyraf Calrec PQ 1549 versus Neumann W492 test this weekend.

To make the comparison as "real-life-like" as possible (without getting too busy)
I did a 11 track mix and matched every EQ-curve with an analyser.
It´s unbelievable how close they are if you use exactly the same curves.

I "reamped" each of the raw tracks through a Calrec / Neumann EQ and summed and panned them
again in the DAW (Samplitude). Only a bit of reverb and 3 dB of limiting was added
to hear how the effect (reverb) reacts to the pocessed signals and to hear
what kind of details pop up after making it louder (limiter).

No other FX was used. No compression, no other plugins, nothing !
All individual tracks where matched to exact the same level before the bounce !
This is not a finished mix, so please don´t expect super-pro-quality !
I did this to compare the EQs not to get a Grammy for the production  ;)

The individual tracks:

1.) Kick
2.) Snare Top
3.) Snare Bottom
4.) HiHats
5.) Overheads Left
6.) Overheads Right
7.) Ambience Left
8.) Ambience Right
9.) Bass
10.) Guitar Left
11.) Guitar Right

The mixes:

1 minute, 10 MB, 16 bit / 44.1 CD quality each

The sad news is I got no web-space to put it up,
if somebody wants to hear the files, please write me a PM or mail.

If somebody has got enough web-space to place the files,
feel free to do it but please post the link here !

ok i had a listen and I can say that both eqs sound really good (and very similar to eachother), although my guess was wrong :)
I use quite a lot some calrec stuff at the studio but never used a Neumann eq before.

Personally, I find Calrec a bit brighter than the Neumann which I guess is a good thing.
However, overall I think I prefer the Neumann. It sounds like there's a bit better low end in the mix.

thanks for sending me the files!

michael

Here is the file:

www.scherer.de/Download/Calrec_Neumann.rar

I guessed right. :) I'm not so sure about the accuracy of the matching in the bass, as there's quite a lot of buildup on one file. But I've done very thorough matching via pink noise with the Calrec vs. plugins myself, and the behaviour on program material is something else than the one on static noise.

BTW, in my Calrec I replaced all the op amps save the ones on the two high frequencies with (vintage) 5532 and like it quite a bit better that way, more balls (attack) in the low end.

I guessed wrong, and preferred the Calrec...just goes to show ya...I actually thought the Calrec was a bit smoother overall...less syrup more malt if you get my drift...

I really like these kinds of experiments, especially when the raw files are there, it is nice to see what kind of polish a little eq can do and still make the tack jump out at you.

Thanks for doing this.

I have a Calrec waiting for me on the bench...sheesh...

Back