does size matter when picking caps of the same value?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back to the topic at hand. here is some info from the sozo capacitor website. audiophoolery  or fact?

The capacitors keep the thickness of the foil, Polyester film dielectric, and voltage ratings the same as the originals. The dimensional proportions are also the same. This has a large part in sound because it changes the slew rate.

For example; the .1 capacitors are elongated and thin as opposed to short and thick, resulting in a difference in signal delivery time. This changes the harmonics of the capacitor creating a smooth, clear, thick lower mid that we are familiar with in  great vintage tube amps. Production capacitors available today are not the correct dimensions and usually metalized film having a negative impact on the sound. The leads are also pure tin coated copper, not the less costly copper clad steel used today. Unfortunately, a poly/lacquer type finish on a axial lead capacitor like the original, is not an option for a hand made capacitor in the USA. As I’m told the EPA will not allow it. I’m confident you’ll find this capacitor true to the original in sound and longevity.

My experience was that axial film caps sound slightly "bigger than life" and can make solidstate gear sound less solidstate (is it really only the "solidstate" to blame for the solidstate sound?) Boxed film caps can sound drier and more spitty compared to axials (ime & imho, fwiw).

The closest to "no cap" .. "sound" I heard were some odd, old (from '80s) blue plastic-box (tantalum???? who knows) low-voltage electrolytics marked as "ITT" 100uF 10v. go figure.

I had some roederstein "plastic" elcos that sounded fairly transparent. old stuf as well...

I like finding gear from the 1930's and 1940's, and seeing how they use the grounded negative case of can caps as shields between other elements on a chassis. 

Latest posts

Back