Racking Auditronics 110B modules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not real sure here... In the console, all grounds (including power supply common) are tied together at one point... So if it does not work without tying them together, then I think you would be ok to run a line from Ov to your star ground point... maybe someone who knows more about electronics will chime in :) As far as the gain, these are pretty hot preamps even with a 10db loss at the fader (which you don't have). What your describing sounds about right. Get your gain staging right before you make a judgment about noise; these are not the quietest amps, but they should be fine for almost every situation. Best, Ben

thanks so much! that's all really encouraging...

i'll sort myself out with a 5k pot and then see how things are sitting..

maybe i'm getting too worked up over this, but i've been looking at pics of the same setup on proharmonics site...

their wiring looks so simple at neat compared to mine,  and there are some things that i've wired, that it looks like they haven't,,

for example,,,,pin one on the output card..(common)..i have going to my ground ring, but i'm fairly sure that they haven't even connected it to anything...

i disconnected it out of interest and lost output, so....hmm....lol.......

idk, like i said, i'll get the a pot, wire it up and see how it sounds....

thanks once again,,i'd be lost without your help.

AAAAHHH wee update for you all!!

i had grounded input common of the output card,,,,but when i removed it,,,the output signal cleaned up like a champ...

after running a few comparisons,,,i'm getting an output that's directly comparable to that of my octopre. The only obvious difference is that the auditronics is slightly hotter.

so,,,,,thanks a shedload for your help in getting me this far!!!

the only thing bothering me now is, there's like a static kinda spike when i turn the gain knob (when the selector knob clicks, there's an ouput peak)

does anyone with experience know if this is normal? it only happens on the lower clicks and i figure it's maybe just an old switch,,,but,,,better to ask right?

Good job getting it all sorted - enjoy your new amp! Let us know how you like the sound compared to your octopre. As far as the audible clicks/popping when switching the input gain - Its like that on my console - I think thats just the way of it - if you need to ride the gain when tracking, you will use your "fader" when it get's hooked up. Best, Ben

good news all round then!  ;D

with the addition of the fader, one unit is ready to rack...

the other requires a replacement resistor  at the -15v terminal, due to a 'mishap'......hopefully i haven't damaged anything else in my brief smoke session...........
it was a 10ohm resistor than now reads 8 ohms, so i figured i've fed something 1.875 amps instead of 1.5 amps....how bad could it be!!  ??? :p

but if they both work out, i'll post up some stereo guitar comparisons for you all!!

hi again :( i'm sorry to say i could do with help again :(

my first unit is still tip top, but i got hold of resistors to sort out the other one.

i replaced the blown 10ohm (r34 @ -15v connector) and the new one smoked straight away.

i was very very quick to knock it off, and the resistor still reads 10omhs,, so i disconnected the led meters and output card (which also use 15v)

powered up the preamp on it's own and r34 smoked again....

i've no idea what to do at this stage..do any of you?

thanks, and sorry  :p

If you are still having trouble, check for continuity between -15v and power supply common, +15v and power supply common, or -15v and and +15v. Replace the power supply bypass tantalum capacitors (c8,9,10,11) replace c14 and c16 while you are at it. These are the psychedelic teardrop-looking caps. Good luck. Best, Ben

10uf 25v caps should arrive in the morning from ebay,, so i'll get straight on doing that!

it was my first thought, but given my nooooob status, i thought i'd better ask!lol...

thanks again, and here's hopin those stereo comparisons are on their way soon!!

thanks for the advice,

the parts arrived and have solved the problem...

for the first time ever, i have the two units powered up side by side..and they sound good!!!!

only thing i can't understand is the eq light is permanently on on one of them,,,,,but the eq etc works flawlessly on both so,,who cares right?

thanks again folks,,,,i'll get the place tidied up and record me some comparisons!

couldn't have done it without you!

hey all,,,

just thought i'd fire up a wee pic of the finished product!!

hope you like!

thanks again.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 98
hi everyone! back again for a quick tip, if possible....

on one of the modules, the high eq always had a problem.

when engaged 7.5k works fine, but when 12k is engaged, it's like that part of the eq is bypassed...(the pot does nothing)

in terms of the schem...with the switch out(12k) c26 wouldn't be in use...and my eq doesnt do anything (so c27 is dead?)

with the switch in(7.5k), c26 is introduced into the circuit. and i get usable eq (although it sounds more like 12khz then 7.5 tbh)

so my reckoning is that c27 needs to be replaced?

anyone agree or disagree?

thanks all!

plumsolly said:
That is where I would look - might be a cold solder joint at that point, too.
Best, Ben

Really helpful thread.  Great to see all your input there, Ben.

I'm gonna try racking up 8 or 10 of these modules some time this year, or perhaps get a few more bits together to reconfigure into the original frame (which I also managed to source last year, but unfortunately with the back motherboards missing, for mounting the modules up, and corresponding wiring)..  Most of the master modules, and all the output assign modules are there, though.

Anyway, I'm just wondering, does anybody have a good copy of the manual they could share, or forward on to me via email or such?

I have a half complete hard copy here, but some pages are missing here and there, and sections 3 and 4 are not present at all.

Thanks in advance!
Evan

Back