Studer 169 EQ in API 500 format

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
taliska said:
goetzmd said:
taliska said:
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere...but who is this Marek you speak of? I'm building some more stuff soon and can always make use of anyone who can provide custom panels! ;)

Hi Kaz, Marek made the frontpanels and pcbs – you'll find his info somewhere in this thread.
Cheers,
Goetz

Ok, but can't seem to find it unfortunately. Can you point me to the specific post?

(I built my studers a while back so I occasionally check in on this thread out of curiosity...which is why I asked, because I, like a lot of people got my pcbs from Gustav and didn't realise there was anyone else supplying them!)

Cheers,

Kaz

P.S. Those are really slick looking ones you've got there! :)

Check your pm's!

Those panels are mighty impressive!! Makes me want to retrofit my faceplate ;)

ForthMonkey said:
Why i can't find bom?  ???
Because there is none.
Look on the first page,all the info is there:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_XBYPfmG8pVNzM2OGQxMDEtZGM4MS00ZjYwLThlYjEtNWYzNzE1NGQyNTlk/edit?usp=drive_web&hl=en&pli=1
and
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_XBYPfmG8pVMmRhZmNkZWEtMjU2ZS00YmI1LWFjNTYtY2ExY2Y4NDFjY2Vh/edit?usp=drive_web&hl=en&pli=1

Not too hard....

Udo.

kante1603 said:
ForthMonkey said:
Why i can't find bom?  ???
Because there is none.
Look on the first page,all the info is there:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_XBYPfmG8pVNzM2OGQxMDEtZGM4MS00ZjYwLThlYjEtNWYzNzE1NGQyNTlk/edit?usp=drive_web&hl=en&pli=1
and
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_XBYPfmG8pVMmRhZmNkZWEtMjU2ZS00YmI1LWFjNTYtY2ExY2Y4NDFjY2Vh/edit?usp=drive_web&hl=en&pli=1

Not too hard....

Udo.

Hmm no part list.I see.Thanks.

ForthMonkey said:
Correct.
Not many parts,most is standard stuff.Don't have my "bom" anymore,sorry.At the time when I built mine it took just about 10 minutes or so to write it on a piece of paper. I used Wimas for the caps (except the lythics of course),and metallfilm resistors (1%) throughout.Hope that helps?

Best,

Udo.

P.S.:I highly recommend this eq!

kante1603 said:
ForthMonkey said:
Correct.
Not many parts,most is standard stuff.Don't have my "bom" anymore,sorry.At the time when I built mine it took just about 10 minutes or so to write it on a piece of paper. I used Wimas for the caps (except the lythics of course),and metallfilm resistors (1%) throughout.Hope that helps?

Best,

Udo.

P.S.:I highly recommend this eq!

Thanks!

But i have a question.Maybe it's like foolish...

How should i use DOAs and other op amps?Should i use DOA and NE5532 at the same time? Or should i choose DOA or NE5532?

ForthMonkey said:
Hmm no part list.I see.

You get what you pay for...

Actually there are so many alternatives, that ten different parts list wouldn't be enough. With or without transformer, IC or discrete op-amps, high and low filter frequencies (see the selection graphs) etc.

audiox said:
ForthMonkey said:
How should i use DOAs and other op amps?Should i use DOA and NE5532 at the same time? Or should i choose DOA or NE5532?

DOA or NE5532

Thank you!

And last question.

I will use DOA.When i use DOAs,i won't use part under DOAs,right?

C22,C17,C21,C16 and jumpers?

ForthMonkey said:
Thanks!

But i have a question.Maybe it's like foolish...

Either DOAs or NE55xx,look at the schematic:Although it is drawn in "parallel" only one path each is used.
Personally I went for all NE55xx way and the NTL1.Some people here stated clearly that the sonic difference is very subtle.
I´m very happy with mine,they sound wonderful!

Udo.

Edit:OOOOOPPPSSSSS,double post,excuse me Max!

ForthMonkey said:

Just install them all. In case of discrete op-amp C16 and C17 do nothing, but they are good to have if you some day want to try the 5534.

audiox said:
ForthMonkey said:

Just install them all. In case of discrete op-amp C16 and C17 do nothing, but they are good to have if you some day want to try the 5534.

Thank you.

By the way what about Studer A101? I'm making it 2520 style to using with this eq.

Just got a pair of these PCBs from Gustav.  I’d like to turn this into a “mastering version” with .5dB stepped gain switches and selectable frequency switches.  Can anyone recommend good rotary switches for the gain section?

Also, I’ve compared the schematics between this version and the mastering 1U version and am unclear which resistors/caps and their accompanied values need to be changed to modify this 500 series unit.  Can someone much smarter than I point me in the right direction for this?  Kind of a noob here so anything will probably help.  :D

iprovlek said:
And value resitors you can use from STANDARD and MASTERING 169 EQ!

Thanks for the switch recommendation!

I meant to say: specifically which resistors on the 500 version need to have their values changed?  They are numbered differently between the two schematics (500 version and 1U version) and so I'm not sure which resistors to change.  Thanks!

I did something like this with mine, although the values of my gain switches ended up being +/- 1,2,3,6,15 dB for the high and low, and +/- 1,1.5.2.5,5,12 (or thereabouts) for the mid. There's plenty of info on this thread and the standard/mastering version of this eq to help you determine which capacitor values to choose, should you wish to make one with selectable high and low frequencies (I used 3 for the highs and lows). I also made up a stepped switch for the mid sweep, but be advised that the values of the resistors need to be calculated if you want to have precise selection of the frequencies (mine were significantly different than the values on the faceplate - wish I could help you there...). In any case, see if the information on pages 10-11 of this thread give you some ideas. It's a very worthwhile build.
Cheers,
Ralph

rmaier said:
I did something like this with mine, although the values of my gain switches ended up being +/- 1,2,3,6,15 dB for the high and low, and +/- 1,1.5.2.5,5,12 (or thereabouts) for the mid. There's plenty of info on this thread and the standard/mastering version of this eq to help you determine which capacitor values to choose, should you wish to make one with selectable high and low frequencies (I used 3 for the highs and lows). I also made up a stepped switch for the mid sweep, but be advised that the values of the resistors need to be calculated if you want to have precise selection of the frequencies (mine were significantly different than the values on the faceplate - wish I could help you there...). In any case, see if the information on pages 10-11 of this thread give you some ideas. It's a very worthwhile build.
Cheers,
Ralph

Thanks for the great info, Ralph.

Do you remember / can you post the resistor values and their corresponding frequencies that you used for your mid sweep?

Thanks!

Greetings to all.
I built this magnificent project. Collected two pieces. One works well.
Other problem.
In EQ mode everything works fine. But in bypass mode EQ (bypass) the impact (crank it up to +10 dB) of low, medium and high a loud squeak and rumble (is excited).
Please help. How can I fix this?

Hello, does anyone tried to put a different input transformer?
In the past I tried these Neutrik transformers that are not bad but I prefer a the Lundahl LL1540

Fablab said:
Hello, does anyone tried to put a different input transformer?
In the past I tried these Neutrik transformers that are not bad but I prefer a the Lundahl LL1540
Hello,

what's wrong with the Neutriks when you say "...not bad..."?I'm very happy with mine.....

Best,

Udo.

Back