Bo Hansen DI layout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo-

jasonallenh said:
Hey guys, I'm working on a smallllll PCB to use when a transformer must be wired off the board, as is the case with my jensen jt-13k6-c. It saves you quite a bit of space as it's only about 1.5" x 2.5"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r93oktrj62eb9bj/BHDI%20Rough%20Draft.jpg?dl=0

Does this look correct? I've left six pads to use in the center for transformer connections. 

Thanks for your patience!  ;D

Jasonallenh,

It seems to be connected right, but the LED is connected wrong. Compare with the original PC card, so you can see how it should be connected.

--Bo

jasonallenh,

The LED shall be connected in series with the voltage rail.
Cut up and insert the LED between the junction of the two 6,8 k resistors and the 100 uF electrolytic capasitor.
You can see the way to do it on the orginal PCB layout.

--Bo

jasonallenh,

Much better you post everything about my DI-box on the main  thread in the "Lab section" , because mostly of the DI-DIY people are there and discuss my DI.

--Bo

Since my other Bo Hansen DIs never returned back to me I had to make a few new ones.
Thanks for this great project, Bo!!!

Attachments

• rsz_dsc00119.jpg
    rsz_dsc00119.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 265
Bo Hansen said:
jasonallenh,

Much better you post everything about my DI-box on the main  thread in the "Lab section" , because mostly of the DI-DIY people are there and discuss my DI.

--Bo
I agree with you, this thread should be merged with the main one, but which one?  ;)
There are about 5 different BHDI threads i the Lab...

Hi :)

Has anyone ever tried "CDIL" branded transistors for the Bo Hansen DI ?

https://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/A200/BC550C.PDF

Are these good enough ?
Or is it better to look for "wellknown" brands ?

...markus :)

Markus,

I think they can be ok, try the input BC550C transistor and compare with a good orginal brand as Motorola, National, Philips, Telefunken,  SGS/Ates, if you not can here more noise with the "CDIL" transistor, it can be ok for this project.
Test with chorted input.
--Bo--

I'd be interested in sound differences....cause i'm thinking about building a Bo Hansen DI with 4-6 switchable transformers.

1 Switch Position "Clean Expensive Highend", (Lundahl?...Haufe?...or both if theres a difference?)
1 Switch Position "Cheap 5 Dollars", (just for A/B comparison for people without golden ears ;-)
and 2-4 Positions with a "Character".

I'd be interested what to choose for the Character positions.

...markus :)

Don't forget about the Lundahl either, I've heard said that it's very good in Bo's DI... I might try one

Amazing, we have now passed  100,000 views in this thread.

Many thanks for yours enormous interest in my active DI box, hope many of you become satisfied with your DIY builds.

--Bo

Hi,
I have built a couple of these and been using them regularly the past years. Today I tried them with a piezo contact microphone on a piano and got a huge 50hz ground loop. I used two and they both have got the same issue. I opened them up and they appear to be built according to spec. any ideas?
I'm using a white LED, case grounded only from the ground pad on the circuit board. Plastic trs jacks. The piezos are mounted on wood.

monkeyxx said:
Try a ground lift.  Can really help in some situations.

But not in this circuit I think? The ground is also a 0v for the 48v power. I read early in this thread where Bo advised against it.
/
Emil

Latest posts

Back