Sexy potentiometers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

I want to build something with max ridiculousness. I am already planning on ordering Grayhill rotary switches. $18 compared to the $2 lorlins I had in there before. Why? Well, they are sexy switches. Need I say more?

Anyways, I am trying to find more info about different potentiometer options. I usually just use Mode 16mm pots, but I figured since I am going to sexify the rotary switch, I may as well do the same to the pots. Where can one find some potentiometers that have a little more something something? Are there any factors that will give me a little more performance? 24mm? Wire wound? Manufactured by virgins? Does it even matter?

I will be panel mounting, so the only things I need are a 1/4" shaft and solder lugs. Just wanted to know if the grass is a little greener.

radiance said:
alps blue velvet?   I know they're good, dunno if they're really really good but they DO have a great feel to them...

I have dual 10K audio taper on sale in black market. 22 of them.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38001.0

sexy builds have no pots. Just go Grayhill (or Elma) all the way. lots of work but they won't break or become scratchy and you can kiss goodbye to pot tolerance problems.

Going all stepped controls might be very cool, but I don't know how well that would work on a threshold control. However, that would give me the ability to completely control the taper of the control. Have it be really precise for the first few steps, and then ramp it up a little after a few. Could be very interesting.  Anyone used a stepped control on a threshold?

I'll check out your link Sahib. Thanks! I have looked at both the alps pots and the Omeg pots. I can't seem to find a list of suppliers for Omeg pots. Do they only sell direct? I asked them for a quote just to see what was what, but a 10 piece minimum order might be too much.

Insomniaclown said:
Anyone used a stepped control on a threshold

I have.

Prototype it with a pot to find out what ranges are important to you. Then just scale the resistors accordingly, and use more accurate steps where necessary. Pots will feel flimsy and hard to trust after you get used this..

Alright. I'm in to give the stepped control a try. Is there a concise set of instructions for building these things? I can't seem to turn up anything.

Thanks for all your help making channel 2 of my LA 4 as ridiculous as possible.  ;D

EDIT: My good friend google has taught me how to get this set up. Just got my quote from Omeg as well. 35GBP for the 10 pots plus 9GBP shipping. Ouch! On the flipside of that, I have priced out stepped controls, and they are around $50 a piece depending on which option I choose. I was thinking about doing 2 12 position switches. One coarse and one fine, but I think that's getting a little ahead of myself.

Back