Master Room XL-121

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonequest

Hello,

This forum is great.  I have learned so much from you guys.  This is my first post. 
I have 2 master room xl-121 spring reverbs. They both work ok, but they don't sound the same, or at least close enough to use them for stereo applications. That is partly due to the dirty pots, one unit does not go 100% wet, one is noisier,  etc...  So I plan on replacing the pots, but I might end up doing some additional maintenance and would love to get my hands on a schematic. I can clearly read the values on most of the components, but it would be nice to have a road map. Does anyone have this schematic? thanks

even without the schematics you can (and should) replace the
electrolytic caps with the same values.
as old as those puppies are you can bet the caps have aged at different
rates.  that's the first thing before going further in matching them.
i guess next would be spring tension... but that's not my area of expertise.

check out this thread:

http://www.picocompressorforum.com/forum/php/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=213

mostly discussing the XL-305 i believe - but perhaps still useful to you.

Wayne Kirkwood (username "mediatechnology" at the picocompressor forum) worked for MicMix and may have had a hand in designing your unit...!

i'd replace the electrolytics, clean/replace the scratchy pots - then if possible try swapping the reverb tank connections from one unit to the other - if the sound differences follow the reverb tanks then look at the mechanical side. if sound differences follow the electronics, look further into the electronics side of things.

Thanks for your input, guys.  I'M not off to a great start, I ordered the wrong pots from mouser( alpha Taiwan).  The pots were too short off the PCB, pin spacing was small to scale, diameter was small.  If I order pots with the correct diameter, would that correct the the pin spacing issue?  I didn't see an option for that.

Latest posts

Back