SSL DL connector questions to patch bay (new question a few posts down)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks heaps for all the help guys!

My job i have now been assigned.... is wire up the DL connectors and hook it up to the patchbay.

Now i've been looking over the tech manuals... i see how the connectors are wired up, but not how they wire to the patchbay.

The patchbay is all wired to the connectors, but how can i find out what is going where. I hope that makes sense.

The console is a SSL 4056 with dbx comps, black eq (e series i think?) with transformered AND transformerless pre's. Apparently its the good 4k console because of the stuff thats in it. 56 channel 4000 series... e with G computer? It was all a bit overwhelming really. But what i need to hook up is 32 inputs, 32 line outs and line ins (for mixing purposes) and then just whatever is spare for outboard gear.

Any help would be awesome.

Need more info.

Is this a remote patch or an internal patch... BIG difference.

If remote patch, all the console-to-patch DL connections are numbered over 100. just go one-to-one.

If internal patch (and for external connections to remote patch) the pattern is simple.

All connections  have a two-digit number from DL01 to DL fifty-something ...or even sixty-something if you have a lot of outboard stuff.

The two digits tell all. the first digit tells you what the function is.

DL0x = Microphone inputs
DL1x = Multitrack Returns
DL2x = Multitrack Sends
DL3x = Center Section/Master stuff
DL4x = Multitrack record ready and sync/repro etc. switching
DL51 onwards = User option (outboard etc. -If fitted.)

SECOND DIGIT: For 0x, 1x, 2x and 4x, they're usually in groups of 24... though since a DL can take 32 channels, I've seen a lot of 56 frames where DLx1 is for channels 1-24 and DLx2 is for ALL the remaining channels 25-32, instead of having just eight channels on a, 'x3' location. -If you have a DL03, DL13, DL23 and DL43, then you have the last eight channels on each 'x3'. If these holes are not filled, you have 25-56 on DL03, DL13, DL23 and DL43... instead opf just 25-48.

As you may have noticed, the "thirties" are an exception.

DL31 = Quad/Stereo machines record and replay
DL32 = more machines record & play
DL33 = Master section FX sends/returns & Monitor & SLS amp outputs.

For the user options:
Each 96-point patchstrip is divided into four sets of 24, the upper row 1-24, the upper row 25-48, the lower row 1-24 and the lower row 25-48.
DL51 might be upper row left, DL52 might be upper row right, DL53 lower row left and DL54 lower row right... whatever it is, you'll probably find the pattern repeats for each patchstrip, so the second user patch strip (if fitted) would then be 55 (upper left), 56 (upper right), 57 (lower left) and 58 (lower right). this goes on until you run out of strips/panel DL's.

So to connect a stereo compressor to the first two points on the first user strip, you'd need a DL male for socket DL51 and a DL male for socket DL53. The first two channels on each will be the upper and lower rows first two channels.

Simples, -no?

PS, if you need DL pins, I think have a bucket full of virgin unused pins for sale... I'll sell them at 50% the cost elsewhere...

Keith

Oh the above list is typical but not GUARANTEED.

the correct list will be in the 'detailed specification' section of the manual which came with the console. It should have the original studio name on the spine.

Best de-pinning tool for a DL connector is a medium paperclip, straightened out a little... works better than the factory tool, doesn't break half so easily, and you can get a hundred of them for under a dollar, whereas the piece of crap factory tool costs too much, and breaks if you look at it wrongly!

Keith

keef why is that, elco de-pin tools are just as flimsy and break with minimal force?  as what keef said, it should have a manual and all that should be listed in said manual.

pucho812 said:
keef why is that, elco de-pin tools are just as flimsy and break with minimal force?  as what keef said, it should have a manual and all that should be listed in said manual.

I beg to differ!  I have an Elco de-pinner (blue, with a plunger) that I've used for over 20 years that has de-pinned thousands of pins and is still going strong.  Maybe you have a different one, but my guy is tough!  +1 though, on the paperclip for DLs.
Best,
Bruno2000

I'm pretty sure its an internal patch, it has the DL01 DL11 DL33 etc etc.

I'll try and find out if we have the manual for that exact desk, i was looking through two different manuals, only one even had the layout diagrams. But that makes a lot more sense now that i've had it explained. I knew it wasn't hard, i just wasn't quite clicking onto it.

So correct me if i'm wrong, each DL connector DOESNT use all 32 channels, just the 24? I was just a bit unclear about that. My plan was to just have the one connector for each thing (because at the moment i doubt we will be using more than 32 channels at a time) to save the studio some money. Its about 85 bucks a connector! Thats aussie dollars though. And Keith, yeah i might hit you up for some pins once i clear all the quotes for the guys (i'm also wiring up patch points and cables and the outboard racks for the studio... i'm not even a professional tech! That being said i'm on the maintenence books at the convention centre here so i can solder well) But anyway, any other tips would be great, i think we're borrowing the crimping tool from another studio (350 seemed a bit steep to me) and yeah, any advice is welcome.

TheGuitarist said:
So correct me if i'm wrong, each DL connector DOESNT use all 32 channels, just the 24?

MOST don't use all 32, specially multitrack stuff.

They make it so that you can plug in blocks of 24 wherever possible. -Most rental companies will rent DL harnesses so you can plug in a 2" 24-track to DLs in seconds, for example...

But...

Your last 32 may well be on one connector; you'd know if this is the case because there'd be no DL03, DL13, DL23 etc.

You'll probably not wire up any of the 40's, unless you're installing an Otari multitrack or OLD Studer (A800 or earlier). Don't need Sync/Repro switching for Pro-Tools, and the track arm buttons won't do anything for you either... so don't bother...

Some of the centre section stuff uses circuits beyond 24, since these are not multitrack-related.

Start with Mic lines, Multitrack sends and returns, master machine sends & returns, Cue mixes, normalled FX sends and returns, and monitors, then hook up your outboard.

You'll have signal in no time...

Keith

Awesome, thanks for all the help, hopefully getting in there to hook it all up as soon as i can get a quote for the cable and connectors.

And sorry, but if i wanted to use 32 mic line ins, i'd have 24 on one connector and 8 on the next? Is this correct?

When you get in place to block the DL pins, please, PLEASE look at the DL connector at least twice.  What I do is put a TOP label on each connector before I start.
I agree with the paperclip, but as with everything from China, the clips have gotten too thin, so I have switched to a mini jewelers screwdriver.  Push pin forward, insert, turn 90%, pull pin.
Do you have a source for NOS paperclips?  I have a dwindling stash that I pinched from my Dad's desk.  I am going to have to start raiding pensioners desks for the good stuff. . .
Mike

Latest posts

Back