Difference between a 47K (LOG) POT and a 50k

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isamee

What would be the difference between a 47K (LOG) POT and a 50k. I am purchasing the output pot for the G9 and can't seem to find a 47k

Also can anyone recommend a basic Electronics for dummies style book. I know I need to learn some of the basics in order to understand some these basic design concepts

Thanks,

Steve

The difference is... ummm... 3k.

In this application, the difference is inconsequential. Go ahead and use the 50K pot.

This question comes up a lot, it seems, because 4.7K and 47K pots are common in Europe while we have 5K and 50K pots in the States. In at least 90% of the circuits we discuss here, it really doesn't make a difference.

The difference is... ummm... Negligible!

The 3k isn't even linear in it's significant, i.e. 3k is 6% of 50k, but only in linear terms, in log terms (dB etc) the significancence is closer to 1or two percent... if you catch my drift.

Keith

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]This question comes up a lot, it seems, because 4.7K and 47K pots are common in Europe while we have 5K and 50K pots in the States./quote]

does this prove that we are 3 more gooder?

dave

I should have something to say here but the three guys before me have said it all

more gooder

3k ... 6% ... 0.477

:sad:

NYDave went with inconsequential
that was a big word
Keef went with negligible and significant
big stuff for keef
and then
dave went with more gooder
excellent
but
Winston has to get picky with .... 0.477 %
:roll:

you guys are such geeks.

:cool:

So, in other words, 47k and 50k pots are fungible?

:green:

Too many crossword puzzles...American ones anyway. Never been able to figure out English crosswords.

Today I learned that the tangible difference is negligible.

I also learned how to spell negligible, thanks dictionary dot com.

dave

> The difference is... ummm... 3k.

Maybe. Note that most pots are rated +/-20% on actual value. A "50K" pot could be 40K or 60K.

And unlike many parts, which seem to try to hit their marked value, most pots I've seen are NOT near their rated value. An awful lot seem to run 10%-15% low.

So if the designer has considered all details, and hasn't told you to spend a LOT of money on a precision pot, the difference between "47K" and "50K" is much less than the possible variation from marked value.

yes PRR tolerance does come into it ...
:roll:

you guys :cool:

JUST MAKE THE BLOODY THING :!: ... you can make changes later if you need too.

[quote author="cjenrick"]Seth, nice run on Jepeaordy dude! :razz:[/quote] :green: :guinness: :thumb:

Back