GYRAF G7 MY FIRST DIY AND LOMO RTT M3 CAPSULE ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALANE

Hello everyone.

It is my first DIY and a have a question about it. Does it matter what kind/brand of EF86 i got ? 

or can i use any EF86 ?

I have a LOMO RTT M3 cardioid capsule but i ve read somewhere that it needs 70V

Do you think i can use it anyway with G7 ?

Are you happy with yours G7 microphone when it was finished?

What is the best way to buy your components from ? Where do you bought G7 PARTS ?

Best regards and many thx

Alane

"...The LOMO M3 is a recreation of older large diaphragm LOMO capsules built by AEG. It has a very mellow sound and is great for picking up a lot of detail without any harshness..."

http://www.sound-room.com/inc/sdetail/478

Hi,

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of DIY. A dangerous addictive never ending world of constant builds....

It doesn't matter what kind of brand of tube you use. Obviously there different brands have different qualities and "sound". Up to you to find what you like. Also different tubes from the SAME BRAND have different qualities and different sound. Up to you to find A TUBE you like...

You can always adjust you capsule polarization voltage in your G7 to 70V. The stock G7 gives out 60V but you can easily adjust this to 70V by changing the value of a resistor.

You haven't mentioned with part of the world you currently reside, but if you are in europe / UK like me you can use web sites like farnell, mouser, digikey, banzai, conrad and rapid elecronics. 90% of my stuff come from farnell.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with your build.

J

Thx Matthew  ;D and thank you all. I live in Sweden. Nice to know about electronics store .

This is my first DIY project but i have modified two OKTAVA MK 012 before with http://www.billsrecording.com/BSRS/Mod012.html  kit and it was really easy and was huge improvement .

The kit includes 1G Thick Film Resistor  same as Gyraf G7 ? 

what i have heard is that this 1G is very hard to find

Thx and best regards

A

It is worth trying with that Lomo capsule.

Try some different brands of valve. It needs to be quiet and sound good obviously.

I found EF86 / 6267 SVETLANA and EF86 RFT 6267 each costs 30 euro . I ´ll try to find other brands .

Thx A

Hi,

Use a pf86 different heater that is all, you can pick those up for 2-5 Euro new.

The heater of a EF86 =6,3V for the PF86 =7,2V.

Kind regards Dirk Jan.

Have a look for Philips PF86. I thought the heater voltage was 4.5V - have a look yourself.

Maybe try a 7804 regulator for that, or an adjustable.

Hi,

Yes you are right mix up with the e88cc, but use a current source with a LM317, that way you have a slow start as well, but the heater can not be combined wit the cathode like the mk7 schematic.

DJN

..or just use the variable heater voltage option in the G7 psu, and set to 4.5V for PF86...

Don't forget to experiment with underheating...

Jakob E.

Back