Power transformer center tap question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Oh well, I have a piece of gear that's power trafo has developed a dead short, I'm trying to find a suitable replacement (15-0-15) in the same footprint, without much luck. I can however get a 2 x 15V one that will mechanically fit. Am I right in saying that by joining the ends of those 2x 15V secondary windings end to end and taking them to the 0V on the PSU it is essentially the same as a center tapped transformer? I need it for a Split Secondary PSU, logic seems dictate it, but I've never tried in practice.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

0V is the starting of the winding and 15V is the ending. Hence both 15V ends are in the same phase. That will not work.

You join 15V end of first winding to 0V of the second winding to form a common 0V/Ground.

Two secondaries with 0-15 and 0-15 becomes;

0V ---------> 15V

15V + 0V ---> 0V / Center Tap

15V --------> 15V

By the way I was going to contact you to say that I have the power supply cases ready. If you are thinking of getting one just give me the footprint/current rating of the transfromer you are looking for and I'll fix you with something

Thanks Cemal,

That is what I meant, I meant to say joining the windings end to end, I didn't mean just join them together.

RE the PSU great news! Did you get portable ones or just the 2U rack units? RE the PSU, I'll prob go with Volkers and then can have a custom torrid wound to fit the rack, so that shouldn't be an issue, it is just this one I need to turn it around quickly for a client.

Cheers

Matt

sahib said:
Hi Matt,

0V is the starting of the winding and 15V is the ending. Hence both 15V ends are in the same phase. That will not work.

You join 15V end of first winding to 0V of the second winding to form a common 0V/Ground.

Two secondaries with 0-15 and 0-15 becomes;

0V ---------> 15V

15V + 0V ---> 0V / Center Tap

15V --------> 15V

By the way I was going to contact you to say that I have the power supply cases ready. If you are thinking of getting one just give me the footprint/current rating of the transfromer you are looking for and I'll fix you with something

Hi Matt.

For GDIY511 I am only supplying Volker's boards anyhow. No problem there. I also have the custom wound transformers in stock. I'll e-mail you tomorrow.

Back