SOUNDCRAFT SPIRIT FOLIO SX PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbass

Hi everyone, a friend came to me today to ask if I could build a psu for the above desk as he'd just aquired it without. It needs a 17 0 17 external ac supply and apparently, the originals are notorious for failing especially since the connectors are pretty lame.
I've not had chance to physically take a look at the desk yet, but have found a schematic for it here.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/51914/Soundcraft_SpiritFolioSX.html

The psu seems straight forward enough, but there is no indication as to what regs are used. I've had a quick look to see if its easy to get a 17 0 17 toroidal, but 18 0 18 seems to be more common. I'm thinking that this would probably be ok but wondered if anyone has any experience with these desks in this department?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

Yes those Folios have one of the worse power connectors ever. I have replaced one for my cousin with a locking type  which had  a two pronge connector.  It was simply awful.

However, you mentioned external AC power supply. These normally have the power supply inside the console and only requires external AC transformer. Check that when the console arrives.

I can not download the schematic and the preview image is not readable. However, if it is + -17V and made with fixed regulators then it must be 15V regulators with their common pin raised. But you can build one using variable output LM317-337 pair.

By the way I already have dual psu pcbs and the components if they are of interest.

chrispbass said:
The psu seems straight forward enough, but there is no indication as to what regs are used.

Hi,

the regulators are 7815, 7915.
There is already a PSU discussion going on here
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36136.0 .

Regards,
Milan

Thanks for your your replys Sahib and Milan. Yes, I could have been clearer in that I will only need to get a transformer as the desk has onboard rectification. The circuit says 17 0 17 in and shows +17 , -17 after the regs. As the schematic doesnt give part numbers for the regs, I wanted to make sure that 18v would not overcook them in anyway. I understand that most regs will take a reasonably wide range of volts at their input, but i'm certainly no expert and don't like to make toomany presumptions, especially when it's not my desk  :)

Thanks for help so far

Chris

Latest posts

Back