AMPEX 350

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mata_haze

Hello everybody,
I have been asked to build a PSU and modify the above mentioned unit as a mic preamp. I am new to this and open to suggestions,maybe someone here has worked on one of these before and could give me a couple of hints.

any help will be much appreciated.

Best,
Mattia.

There are a good number of folks who will feel a cavernous sorrow if the mod entails deconstructing a fully working machine. If it's already a beached carcass . . .

Any 250VDC power supply should work fine.  You can get them brand new at Mouser for ~ 50 USD.

Post a schematic if possible.

http://recordist.com/ampex/apxschem.html

There's lots of interstage 'stuff' in that circuit that isn't 100% necessary for straight mic pre use.  Most of the plans I've heard of involve removing these - record EQ, path switching.  It will keep the signal path more pure and less noisy.  The issue after that will be interfacing the output stage to a line level of the right (low) impedance. The schematic I'm looking at appears to have a transformer that will do that.

With a line out, you can already use the unit as a mic pre in stock condition.  It may be acceptable as is.  I enjoy the way sonic circus skirts the noise issue:

http://soniccircus.com/Ampex-350-Tub-Mic-Pre-w-VU-Vintage

I would try it first stock before jumping in with the iron.  Replacing some or all of the electrolytics would be the next move -You'll probably need to do this either way.  The recording EQ stacks in the grid circuit of V3 will give you pre or de emphasis and may be something the client likes - but will not be flat response.  Recording at 7 1/2 ips gives a natural rise in the high freq response with a tendancy to pool in that area - probably the LO speed position.

I wouldn't do any more than what makes the client happy.  Once you get to a certain point of 'cleanup' you may be very near equaling the amount of work in pulling the iron and building from scratch.

Hi !

there were a lot of infos and directions on the Electrical forum, check there, if I remember correctly everything was explained in detail and documented.

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB3/

I thought the Electrical website detailed the 351, not the 350.

Yeah, I hope that 350 wasn't stolen from its transport...

Hello everybody,
the 350 has been pulled from a non working machine ages ago (this is what I have been told) and the current owner is willing to keep it as original as possible but make it into a mic preamp.

here is the schematic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lassoharp said:
There are a good number of folks who will feel a cavernous sorrow if the mod entails deconstructing a fully working machine. If it's already a beached carcass . . .

Any 250VDC power supply should work fine.  You can get them brand new at Mouser for ~ 50 USD.

Post a schematic if possible.

http://recordist.com/ampex/apxschem.html

There's lots of interstage 'stuff' in that circuit that isn't 100% necessary for straight mic pre use.  Most of the plans I've heard of involve removing these - record EQ, path switching.  It will keep the signal path more pure and less noisy.  The issue after that will be interfacing the output stage to a line level of the right (low) impedance. The schematic I'm looking at appears to have a transformer that will do that.

With a line out, you can already use the unit as a mic pre in stock condition.  It may be acceptable as is.  I enjoy the way sonic circus skirts the noise issue:

http://soniccircus.com/Ampex-350-Tub-Mic-Pre-w-VU-Vintage

I would try it first stock before jumping in with the iron.  Replacing some or all of the electrolytics would be the next move -You'll probably need to do this either way.  The recording EQ stacks in the grid circuit of V3 will give you pre or de emphasis and may be something the client likes - but will not be flat response.  Recording at 7 1/2 ips gives a natural rise in the high freq response with a tendancy to pool in that area - probably the LO speed position.

I wouldn't do any more than what makes the client happy.  Once you get to a certain point of 'cleanup' you may be very near equaling the amount of work in pulling the iron and building from scratch.

very interesting, currently checking it out.

Piotr said:
Hi !

there were a lot of infos and directions on the Electrical forum, check there, if I remember correctly everything was explained in detail and documented.

http://www.electrical.com/phpBB3/

also checking this

fazeka said:
I thought the Electrical website detailed the 351, not the 350.

Yeah, I hope that 350 wasn't stolen from its transport...

read above  ;D

thank you guys ...I am studying the baby at the moment, but I will be back with more questions soon .

Best,
Mattia.

As an old Ampex guy, I would probably simply try it mic in to line out and see how you like the sound.
Yes, it probably needs new caps and possibly new tubes.
A new power supply is best, the original has a nasty selenium rectifier.
IIRC, you can fire it up mic in to line out and start pulling tubes to kill the oscillator and other unnecessary circuitry if you just want to use it as a pre.
However, you might not want to start removing any of said circuitry.
Who knows, down the road, you might want to pick up a matching transport for pennies or free from someone who only wanted the amp(s.)

You really don't need to do anything other than supply the necessary voltages and change the suspect capacitors.
The record circuitry is dormant, including oscillator tube V408, unless the record relay is energized.
If you want to reduce the gain and improve the sonics, bypass V402, connecting the wiper of R409 to the top of R428 (record cal pot).  If you keep the tube in place, make sure you provide a path for the grid to circuit common (a wire will do nicely).
The equivalent input noise of a healtly 350 is better than -127 dBm; it is noisy only in the context of the high gain.
Take Mike's advice, don't butcher the unit, you may find a transport some day.

WOW guys,
thank you very much for all the infos, I am steaming into PSU at the moment, will keep you posted and put some pics up as well.
very very soon :)

Best,
Mattia.

reanimatorstudio said:
IIRC the grounding of the filaments is done in the winding of one tube. Very tricky. If you pull out tubes you could have humm. So take 2 100R resistors from the filament wires to ground.

The "grounding" of the DC heater supply is done via 470 ohm resistors R431 and R434 associated with V405 (12SJ7).  The center tap of the AC heater supply is connected to circuit common in the power supply. 
If your are designing a completely new power supply system, simple 6.3 VAC-CT transformer will suffice for the high level tube heaters.

hi,

i have build same times ago also a PSU for my 350 Ampex. i realized the PSU with a custom made toroid to became 385VDC (diode bridge and then 2 stages of L-C filters), 6,3V AC, and 12,6VDC (rectified and stabilized with LM317)
what i forgot is to change the old electrolyte capacitors.

also i droped out V408, because this tube is only for the oscillation signal.

the hardest thing was to find a right "jones cinch 8 pole" plug to supply the ampex350.
but be carefully when you supply only with this connector, because this is a male connector.
when your PSU is running and the connector not plugged  you have 385VDC on the male connector.

my expirience with the 350 is that i became a (light) distorted signal when i have a hot input (like a condenser mic with high signal source).

...and mine is still stuck with a friend having the idea to make a russian tube input stage conversion. Ouch. Must-retrieve-now. If you want it done right, then D.I.Y.!

::) ;D

/Dave

Back