Vovox: the final straw

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbey road d enfer

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I don't know why, Vovox have pulled on my nerves from the moment I heard of them.
After "inventing" the unshielded audio cable, now:
Matched Pairs
To avoid even the smallest risk of audible differences, we offer matched pairs of cables. We guarantee, that these cables are from the same production lot and that they consequently are as identical as possible. Matched pairs of cables come in a nice, handy box.

It is probably not really new, but I just saw of it today.

abbey road d enfer said:
I don't know why, Vovox have pulled on my nerves from the moment I heard of them.
After "inventing" the unshielded audio cable, now:
Matched Pairs
To avoid even the smallest risk of audible differences, we offer matched pairs of cables. We guarantee, that these cables are from the same production lot and that they consequently are as identical as possible. Matched pairs of cables come in a nice, handy box. Our cables are especially designed for the gullible. We aim to make as much profit from those who believe they have 'superior' hearing, and are expert users of meaningless adjectives. Scandinavian names are very popular at the moment because their alphabets are with dashed all sorts of umlaut things that not many people know about therefore, obviously cost more. What better pretext for us to rip you off. We are currently working on a range of Arabic and Farsi scams[/i

12volts said:
pucho812 said:
If you purchasing that, the purchase these as well.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40014.0

Look, you should know by now that $39 + $5 delivery is FAR, FAR too cheap and is clearly a con trick.

Frank

really :'( so you mean the water won't make my control room sound better....

Frank you should know by now that when I post stuff like that it's purely intended to give people a laugh... :)

I´ve seen a very expensive studioinstallation with wires from this company. To keep cable capacity low they simly omit the shield. So the owner payed app 230k€ for fully balanced desk (ADT) and uses unshielded wires for everything.  ??? Yuk.

abbey road d enfer said:
Matched Pairs
To avoid even the smallest risk of audible differences, we offer matched pairs of cables. We guarantee, that these cables are from the same production lot and that they consequently are as identical as possible. Matched pairs of cables come in a nice, handy box.

To diy this: buy a 100m roll of high quality cable, cut to the exact same length, solder good connectors onto them and finally put them in a nice box ;-)

Nothing wrong about this, but nothing new either... Nice marketing though.

One cable manufacturer told me that his cables would sound better when they're used in the same direction as the printing on the cable goes, female left, male right hand side. I haven't done listening tests to verify that and yes, I'm aware of that ac is alternating, hence flows both directions. He said it was related to how the screen was wound or something...

Michael

What bugs me most about this company is that I can't get a Brauner mic with decent mic holder without also having to buy an unshielded cable which does not even sound the same in both directions...

I've seen a very expensive studio installation with wires from this company.

I've attended a Vovox demo in this very studio (presuming you're talking about the quite new one in Berlin). The level matching was very amateurish (~1 dB more for the Vovox cable), and the Vovox man got very upset when I asked about cable capacitance for their guitar version.

Samuel

I tested some vovox cables. They do sound different than my mogami. In the the chain from my monitor controller to the monitors was the difference most obvious. The have more high freqs so must have less capacitance.

I did'nt buy them but I think it sounded more close to the source I recorded

nicholas

jensenmann said:
I´ve seen a very expensive studioinstallation with wires from this company. To keep cable capacity low they simly omit the shield. So the owner payed app 230k€ for fully balanced desk (ADT) and uses unshielded wires for everything.  ??? Yuk.

I plan on using Belden Mediatwist UTP cable for my mastering console wiring. As long as all connections are balanced a bonded twisted pair will be better than a sloppy twisted pair with a shield. Belden Meadiatwist is cheap though.

Samuel Groner said:
I've attended a Vovox demo in this very studio (presuming you're talking about the quite new one in Berlin).
Samuel

No that was in Essen.

There was a very interesting series of articles in german Studio Magazin some time ago, where they did blindtests with different wires. For these tests ADT-audio did design a special testenvironment to have exactly defined electronic conditions for all wires. Result was that there are audible differences between these wires but results were not predictable or transferable. For everybody interested in this subject I´d highly recommend to read it, since a lot of paper has been filled with theoretical background knowledge to make these test understandable.

abbey road d enfer said:
Probably because your "monitor controller" has a too high output impedance, and consequently is affected by the capacitance of the subsequent cable.

I doubt that, but anyway cable voodoo doesn't interest me much

nicholas

Yes it is bothersome to hear this type of copy.  I find the OCD aspect of the population who are affected by this and wind up buying stuff like this at every turn even more disturbing.

If the cable clearly sounds better than something else then it sounds better. If they're square dealing they should allow you to audition them at your work space. If it proves itself superior in a listening test there's not much to think about except as an afterthought

If it's snake oil - there's many worse.

If the marketing manager gets you thinking about things you should be hearing then he's won half the battle of selling the product.

Back