disecting tones on a recording....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to tell.  Easy to hear the distortion.  Maybe DI + bleed into drum mics?  Seems to be a little room dimension to the sound going on.  Great cut.

Here's one I've been trying to find the tracking console/engineering info on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-m9uG50mSw&a=GxdCwVVULXdC7KHPVmZf6OqnTfPyr9m8

I've got this cut on a 70's compilation CD and it sounds 5 X Phatter than any other track on the disc.

yeah that track does sound good.... if you knew the studio could narrow it down....  Based on the time  it came out, I would sayit's not an ssl... So possible to be an MCI, Neve, or API but that is just a guess.

As for the john lee hooker recording. Yeah bleed is obvious. maybe it's combo if bleed in the room mics?

I believe some of those ampegs had a stock pre amp out - maybe B-15.  That growl does sound like an ampeg.

All I was able to dig up on the Hot Chocolate thing was that it was done by Mickie Most - sounded like a low budget deal. Presumably somewhere in England. They were certainly running the vocal hot and gritty which was kind of odd for that time.

To me it almost sounds like a clean humbucker doubling an upright. The only time they split up is in the last bar before the fade @ 2:41. As for the signal chain, God only knows. Tape and other gear we covet, I'm sure.

Website and myspace link to the guy who may have played on that track. Says he recorded 10 albums with John Lee

http://www.skaggmo.com/geno.htm

To me it sounds like a P-Bass with flat wounds and high action running through a Flip Top Ampeg.  Who knows what it was recorded with, it just sounds natural though.

MikoKensington said:
To me it sounds like a P-Bass with flat wounds and high action running through a Flip Top Ampeg.  Who knows what it was recorded with, it just sounds natural though.

Did you read that site lassoharp just posted? It states that P-bass and fliptop was the dudes only equipment through his career, so great guess / hearing ;)

tmuikku said:
MikoKensington said:

Did you read that site lassoharp just posted? It states that P-bass and fliptop was the dudes only equipment through his career, so great guess / hearing ;)

part guess, part hearing, part going sounds like.... all from what I have heard before... There is something about the tone that although distorts in spots it just is awesome to me. You know years ago i worked at this small studio called super sonic. Anyway Super sonic in their arsenal of amps and gear had a flip top ampeg with a 2X15 cab. That sucker was so heavy but My god did it sound good. I wish ampeg would make that cab to go witt their flip top's again... It was Monster tone.

Yeah it sounds great. I've read that flip tops have classic tone but newer tried one. I've been checking every now and then how much they cost but never really dared to buy one since they propably won't have enough juice for small gigs I do. Can't afford too many amps. I believe there isn't that many of those in Finland (maybe in some studios but I don't have access to them :D).

Latest posts

Back