National Tube Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F-ing liar there, I say.  Basic gov't communications clipper.   Never seen data. 

Schematic should be inside the unit.  Looks exactly like the various Webster, etc limiters with similar tube lineup and layout.  They sell $20-$200 when they show up since no one knows what they are.....just.....like... this thing. 

This unit rivals the old Fairchild 660 and others selling for $15K and up,

Price is insane.  Worth not one penny more than the average beat to hell dead AM-864, and probably more like 1/4 the price of that.  I wouldn't offer a penny over $200 for one new in the crate.  

Whoever buys that gets what they deserve.  

If he's going to go fishing like that - may as well have some fun.

If 10 different offers suddenly show up in the $150-250 range . . . . maybe he'll raise the price to 10K!

Hey Doug
Can you point me towards a schematic of these kind of clipper units like the Webster.
What are the transformers like?? Low bandwidth???
Somebody is going to be gutted when they buy this

I've never seen any info, but I've seen a lot of various similar units.  Some were definitely made for aeronautical communications. 

What would the official title of this kind of unit be?? Clipper or limiter??

I am interested in any kind of tube distortion, limiting, expansion etc. If anyone out there sees something like this again for a good price please let me know. Something with that kind of build quality and design is going to be useful but not at that price.

I did build a clipper with a 6h6 and a cathode follower 6J5 which has a very unique sound - better than clipping silicone diodes. But the unit is not as variable as what I would like.

Back