[BUILD] DBX 160VU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abechap024

Edit: See white market thread.Thanks to all!

board_1.jpg

Hi All,
Want to let you know about a completed A Prototype PCB for the 160VU
and for those that don't know about the 160vu, I would recommend googleing it! While maybe not as much as a household name as the 1176 or SSL it is a staple studio compressor used on countless hit records. I've read it call the "Kick, Snr, and Bass compressor" also reportedly used often as a vocal compressor with great results. I say this as I've never had the opportunity to actually use one and half way through the design I was thinking to myself...do I really need ANOTHER VCA compressor? (I just finished an 8 channel ssm2120 mic/line compressor box)  but found some samples of before/after clips of the 160vu and clearly yes. I can hear why people love this compressor as they do. Seems to not really sound like anything else. Seems to have a sought after "mojo" and when dealing of things of mystics and "mojo" I have taken the liberty of not taking the liberty of changing the circuit. Original power supply and parts can be opted for throughout the PCB. I have, however, added the option for bigger power supply caps, an option for a less expensive power supply (using mnats or some other regulated supply). I've also added the option for a cheaper and easier option of a THAT VCA.
    Also, the DBX 160vu use(es/ed) a mechanically zero-centered meter. These meters cost about 150$ from DBX. If you don't want to spend as much on a meter as you probably will for the whole build, we've added a circuit the will emulate a mechanically centered meter by making it electronically centered. Thanks to Arska for coming up with the circuit and for his help with other design implements. Also thank you to DamnYankee and many others who have helped with information and ideas!
this PCB includes:

-All transistors changed to modern counterparts, so no hard to source components!

-Ability to use a THAT 2180 VCA, a DBX 200 can VCA, or build a discrete 200 vca right on the PCB

-Ability to use a DBX RMS detector can, or build the RMS unit right on the PCB

-Completely original power supply. Plus an option to easily patch in a different power supply if you wish

This is a "Prototype" Small batch PCB feeler thread. If you want to build one, but aren't very experienced with electronics, or are scared of a possible challenge this probably isn't for you. You might as well wait for the "Final" Revision to come out in a couple months.
    But for those of you who are itching for your very own 160vu and are excited about electronics and have the equipment and tools for a possible troubleshooting shootout or two. This is your ticket.
    I don't *for see* many problems at all. I've been working on this for about a month and have checked the schematic many many times. Also checked and rechecked for the RMS/VCA circuits. But there always seems to be something; mainly I want to see what components are available to people outside of the US, and if there are any recommendations on footprints or any other of a million things that could be changed for easier building/implementation.

Also I haven't been able to get my hands on any original vca/rmc modules and no one has made the measurements available, so I've been forced to resort to black magic and tom foolery, The dimensions should be correct, but I have no way to verify this so This is another thing that needs to be confirmed before "Final" revision.

Prototypes will be 35$ shipped to anywhere in the world. we will need at least 10 people to place an order.

Here is the Schematic and the TOP of the PCB with DBX module pin outs in case anyone can confirm spacings...

www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/160vu/schematic.jpg

www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/160vu/PCB1.jpg

Thank You,
Abe

Really excited for you Abe...and i really wish you good luck.
Altough offer protos is kinda of crawling in the dark...

If unit works 100% im in!
Thanks

Thanks you for the interest so far.

And your right 3nity, having the option for people to buy prototype PCBs isn't really done that often around here...But I feel the more people we get involved on this small fabrication the more ideas we'll have for the final bigger batch of PCBs. I wish I could promise you 100% functionality, but as It hasn't been tested yet I cannot. But all circuits must be tested at some point. I am very confident they will work and offing these prototypes is just a step to make a better and easier final product.

These PCBs are mainly for people that want to have some input and be the first few to have the 160vu. I cannot make any 100% guarantees they will work, but also I offer you the challenge to find any reason they will not work! This is DIY after all, and here's your chance to offer some input on the final run of PCBs.

Thanks,
Abe

Just a bump of good news. We have enough people interested to go thru with the order! See first post, I edited it, then realized that doesn't push it to that top. so here it is....

paypal: [email protected] 35$

Ans if you want to order a prototype go ahead and send payment, its not too late
Thanks All!

Hello, I would love to test one of the prototypes, can I get in on this first order? Stuart Whitby.

Hi Stuart and anyone else interested in ordering a prototype pcb,
The order is still open. payment@acsoundstudio for 35$ and you get one. The more we have the better.
Thank you!
AC

abechap024 said:
Thanks you for the interest so far.

And your right 3nity, having the option for people to buy prototype PCBs isn't really done that often around here...But I feel the more people we get involved on this small fabrication the more ideas we'll have for the final bigger batch of PCBs. I wish I could promise you 100% functionality, but as It hasn't been tested yet I cannot. But all circuits must be tested at some point. I am very confident they will work and offing these prototypes is just a step to make a better and easier final product.

These PCBs are mainly for people that want to have some input and be the first few to have the 160vu. I cannot make any 100% guarantees they will work, but also I offer you the challenge to find any reason they will not work! This is DIY after all, and here's your chance to offer some input on the final run of PCBs.

Thanks,
Abe
Thats great thinking.  ;) ;) ;) Thumbs up here from Denmark....

Cheers
Søren

Latest posts

Back