Best Console Summing amp/Master Buss comp Ideas....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JR, I think "The Art of Electronics" - Horowitz & Hill is the nearest to your mythical book.

Leigh, go out and BUY a copy.

Not all of it will make sense to you today but you will still be referring to it when you are a guru in your old age.

I did realize about that, I just make it as a comment, since I found is much harder to change something you know wrong than get deeper in something you don't really get I didn't want leigh or any further reader get the idea that reactance in an impedance wich change with frequency, because resistance can change with freq. For me the easiest way to explain reactance is that no power is being dissipated in the component but energy stored for some period of time and then returned out. The phase should be analyzed after this concept or idea is understood. It's still as simple but correct, the idea of impedance changing with freq isn't. I always found confussing the idea that reactance are expressed in the same unit than resistance, since you tend to imagin a certain resistance for certain freq and if you are working at a constant freq you tend to think it's the same, I do know why it's done but it's confussing for new players.

About the book, I like the Idea, is something intresting indeed, each chapter should be marked in some way how deep is each part, for easy selecting how deep to get at each time, also a help to know what you should read before each part. I really like the idea, could it be an open source project with some moderator to manage it or you wanted to write it as you was saying?

JS

joaquins said:
I did realize about that, I just make it as a comment, since I found is much harder to change something you know wrong than get deeper in something you don't really get I didn't want leigh or any further reader get the idea that reactance in an impedance wich change with frequency, because resistance can change with freq. For me the easiest way to explain reactance is that no power is being dissipated in the component but energy stored for some period of time and then returned out. The phase should be analyzed after this concept or idea is understood. It's still as simple but correct, the idea of impedance changing with freq isn't. I always found confussing the idea that reactance are expressed in the same unit than resistance, since you tend to imagin a certain resistance for certain freq and if you are working at a constant freq you tend to think it's the same, I do know why it's done but it's confussing for new players.
I don't think it is productive to argue about this. Skin effect is more complicated than a resistance changing with frequency but don't want to go further down that road.

Calling reactance an "impedance" that changes with frequency very neatly explain simple passive R-L-C filter networks, as the changing impedance with frequency create varying voltage dividers depending on how connected.
About the book, I like the Idea, is something intresting indeed, each chapter should be marked in some way how deep is each part, for easy selecting how deep to get at each time, also a help to know what you should read before each part. I really like the idea, could it be an open source project with some moderator to manage it or you wanted to write it as you was saying?

JS
My concept for how deep to venture into each chapter would be limited by the reader's immediate need or ability to absorb more. Over the years I have found myself in situations where I needed a quick education in some narrow area of technology. Kids today don't know how good they have it, between google and wikipedia answers to almost anything are seconds away. I had to buy and read books.

I probably would love "the art of electronics" apparently they are working on a new edition, but that is kind of the problem with printing a book about a moving target (technology). A web or WIKI like approach would make it easier to keep current while editors for each chapter could be responsible for updates.  This would be a huge task and worthwhile IMO, but not for me, not today. 

JR

ricardo said:
JR, I think "The Art of Electronics" - Horowitz & Hill is the nearest to your mythical book.

Leigh, go out and BUY a copy.

While I don't want to encourage this thread to veer any further away from the subject of summing amps, I will say this: I have had a copy of "The Art of Electronics" for many years. It did not help me with a more intuitive understanding of impedance.

By their own admission, the complex algebra they use to explain reactance in Section 1.18 is "easily the most difficult for the reader with little mathematical preparation." Right before they dive into that heavy math, they state that a capacitor driven by a sine-wave voltage source "behaves like a frequency-dependent resistance R = 1/ωC" – so I guess that's where I left it, conceptually.

John helped by mentioning that an essential difference between resistance and reactance was the dissipation vs the storage of energy. That makes intuitive sense.

Horowitz and Hill also state that:
Impedance is the "generalized resistance"... In other words, impedance = resistance + reactance.
(Now, I hope that's a thoroughly true statement, and not another oversimplification of sorts.) So, impedance describes what happens to energy put into a circuit: how much energy gets burned off as heat, and how much gets temporarily stored, to re-emerge at a later time. Obviously, how long such energy is stored, and where and how it is released, can have complicated effects on AC voltages (for example, in the creation of an EQ's frequency curves).

And so, in conclusion, I can see now why saying that impedance is just "resistance at a certain frequency" is not accurate. My apologies.

ricardo said:
To get BEST performance from 5534 you MUST decouple both rails to an 'earth' with 100u electrolytics as close to the OPA as possible.  His 100n from rail to rail is insufficient for low THD and may give instability under certain conditions.

Have a look at Kingston's http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=37307.80

OK, getting back to the original subject – I finished reading all of Kingston's thread. Lots of good stuff in there. I come away with a few new thoughts about opamp decoupling:

1. You're not supposed to decouple just by using rule-of-thumb capacitor values, but almost everyone does anyways.

2. The appropriateness of rail-to-rail vs rails-to-ground decoupling may depend on the quality of the power supply.

3. Rails-to-ground caps should match a few essential properties. They should be "normal ESR" types, because you do want a keep a little series resistance built-in. And they should be 1µF. Or 10µF. Or 22µF. Or 100µF. But 470µF would be brute-force overkill.

4. Opamp manufacturers don't tell you shit about the decoupling needs of their products, and you are left to suss it out on your own. And unlike gross oscillation that appears on an opamp's output, you can't necessarily see the effects of insufficient decoupling with an oscilloscope (for example, the NE5532's "rising THD" phenomenon).

And, my own finding: when looking for manufacturer's info about how to accurately pick decoupling values for opamps, current literature tends to focus on GHz-range applications like cell phones. For example, this TI report which would tell you not to use electrolytic caps, since they would be too slow ("slow" being sub-1MHz, perish the thought): http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa069/sloa069.pdf

So, if we're going to somehow do better than just follow rules of thumb, let's back up a second to the theoretical. Let's assume a very good power supply, and opamps with high PSRR. Even so, we are worried about fluctuations of the power at the opamp's supply pins, because we have a finite resistance (and a reactance) between the power supply and the opamp, so the power supply alone cannot provide a stiff enough power source to the opamp. Right so far?

Now, those fluctuations of power at the opamp's supply pins, they originate from the opamp needing to source or sink current, in proportion to the amplitude of incoming ac signals. An opamp at idle won't create those power disturbances. And, frequency-wise, do those power fluctuations also happen only at the frequency of incoming ac signals? Such that, if you picked capacitor values to stiffen the supply pins for a 10Hz-100KHz range of potential fluctuation, you would have a happy opamp for audio signals?

I'll pause here for a moment...

leigh said:
ricardo said:
To get BEST performance from 5534 you MUST decouple both rails to an 'earth' with 100u electrolytics as close to the OPA as possible.  His 100n from rail to rail is insufficient for low THD and may give instability under certain conditions.

Have a look at Kingston's http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=37307.80

OK, getting back to the original subject – I finished reading all of Kingston's thread. Lots of good stuff in there. I come away with a few new thoughts about opamp decoupling:

1. You're not supposed to decouple just by using rule-of-thumb capacitor values, but almost everyone does anyways.
It depends on how good your rule of thumb is.  ;D
2. The appropriateness of rail-to-rail vs rails-to-ground decoupling may depend on the quality of the power supply.
Not so sure, but it does depend somewhat on the load... just like follow the money, follow the current. If a load is driven to ground, PS decoupling to ground is useful, if load is driven differentially, rail to rail caps could be more effective. In mass production we do not know in advance what the external loads will look like so have to cover all bases... while deep inside a larger product we generally understand the specific load path.
3. Rails-to-ground caps should match a few essential properties. They should be "normal ESR" types, because you do want a keep a little series resistance built-in. And they should be 1µF. Or 10µF. Or 22µF. Or 100µF. But 470µF would be brute-force overkill.

4. Opamp manufacturers don't tell you sh*t about the decoupling needs of their products, and you are left to suss it out on your own. And unlike gross oscillation that appears on an opamp's output, you can't necessarily see the effects of insufficient decoupling with an oscilloscope (for example, the NE5532's "rising THD" phenomenon).
They should tell us if the op amps have unusual problems, but they should also engineer out unusual problems.
And, my own finding: when looking for manufacturer's info about how to accurately pick decoupling values for opamps, current literature tends to focus on GHz-range applications like cell phones. For example, this TI report which would tell you not to use electrolytic caps, since they would be too slow ("slow" being sub-1MHz, perish the thought): http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa069/sloa069.pdf

So, if we're going to somehow do better than just follow rules of thumb, let's back up a second to the theoretical. Let's assume a very good power supply, and opamps with high PSRR. Even so, we are worried about fluctuations of the power at the opamp's supply pins, because we have a finite resistance (and a reactance) between the power supply and the opamp, so the power supply alone cannot provide a stiff enough power source to the opamp. Right so far?

Now, those fluctuations of power at the opamp's supply pins, they originate from the opamp needing to source or sink current, in proportion to the amplitude of incoming ac signals. An opamp at idle won't create those power disturbances. And, frequency-wise, do those power fluctuations also happen only at the frequency of incoming ac signals? Such that, if you picked capacitor values to stiffen the supply pins for a 10Hz-100KHz range of potential fluctuation, you would have a happy opamp for audio signals?

I'll pause here for a moment...
You made me tired just reading that...

JR

JohnRoberts said:
leigh said:
Not so sure, but it does depend somewhat on the load... just like follow the money, follow the current. If a load is driven to ground, PS decoupling to ground is useful, if load is driven differentially, rail to rail caps could be more effective. In mass production we do not know in advance what the external loads will look like so have to cover all bases... while deep inside a larger product we generally understand the specific load path.

Would a load being driven to a virtual earth input count as being "driven to ground", or as "driven differentially"?

About the "quality of the power supply" issue, I was thinking of a post where Samuel Groner said that bad behavior from a rail-to-rail cap might indicate that the power supply has some underlying flaws.

And, in a follow up to that post, a post where you said:

Solid low impedance PS rails should not be affected by adding a modest rail to rail cap. A soft rail can act differently depending on how it is soft. A rail to rail cap could alter the PS terminal voltage if say a HF cap rail to rail, is shunting across two LF caps to ground and wiring impedance.  Note: a rail can be solid at LF and soft at HF based on type of caps used. 

Granted, those comments address whether rail-to-rail decoupling could be bad in a given circuit... not whether it should be used INSTEAD of rail-to-ground decoupling.

Later in that big thread, Ricardo states:

the 2x100n to ground deal with stability while the 10-100u rail to rail help HF THD.

Which sheds a bit more light on the different purposes of rails-to-ground vs rail-to-rail decoupling. However, that "HF THD" issue is caused by instability as well, so ultimately we're just talking about "stability" in both cases, just in different frequency ranges.

JohnRoberts said:
leigh said:

You made me tired just reading that...

Yes, the perils of thinking out loud. The ideas come in a tumble, and the language is a rough draft at best.

To put it another way: say you have a decent opamp, and you have bandwidth-limited it (with a small capacitor in the feedback loop) to 100kHz.

Now, you are trying to figure out your decoupling scheme for this opamp. Do you have to worry about decoupling high frequencies on the rails, well above 100kHz?

My instinct is you don't have to worry - the opamp's output won't have frequencies higher than 100kHz (simplifying for the moment that this is of course not a brickwall filter cutoff), so the opamp's supply pins will never try to move at frequencies higher than 100kHz either.

?

leigh said:
A major factor is physical size.  What is the largest electrolytic you can get 2 off close to the OPA(s)?

When I was doing this stuff for a living in the last Millenium, it was 10u.  Today 100u and maybe even 470u is easy so I would use that.[/quote]

4. Opamp manufacturers don't tell you sh*t about the decoupling needs of their products, and you are left to suss it out on your own. And unlike gross oscillation that appears on an opamp's output, you can't necessarily see the effects of insufficient decoupling with an oscilloscope (for example, the NE5532's "rising THD" phenomenon).
The makers have to assume a certain level of those who read their datasheets.  Scott Wurcer admitted to me that AD should have made a bigger fuss about decoupling for his AD797, one of the quietest & best OPAs in the known universe.

So, if we're going to somehow do better than just follow rules of thumb, let's back up a second to the theoretical. Let's assume a very good power supply, and opamps with high PSRR.
For stability, the length of the PCB tracks to the PSU have significant inductance.  Even with no signal, oscillation can be triggered by inherent noise.

In Kingston's thread, I make the point that rail2rail may sometimes help THD but only in ADDITION to rail to 'ground'.  Sam Groner agrees.  The important caps are the Electrolytics to 'ground'.  Once you do that, you can add anything else that you believe in.

If the maker, recommends some 100n ceramics, use them IN ADDITION.  I have never found extra 100ns improved things but they don't make things worse .. as long as you have the local electrolytics to 'ground'.

Note the caveats about putting sewage on your nice clean signal & feedback 'earths'.

ricardo said:
So, if we're going to somehow do better than just follow rules of thumb, let's back up a second to the theoretical. Let's assume a very good power supply, and opamps with high PSRR.
For stability, the length of the PCB tracks to the PSU have significant inductance.  Even with no signal, oscillation can be triggered by inherent noise.

Alright, but I still don't see how the numbers add up when it comes to the "significant inductance" part, when we're talking about opamps limited to audio frequencies plus a decent margin (see my previous post above).

Let's take the example that I used in my previous post – an opamp that has been bandwidth-limited to 100kHz using a capacitor in its feedback loop.  100kHz as a signal on a PCB track has a wavelength of about 9700 feet. And as a rule of thumb (I'm quoting here), a PCB track starts behaving reactively when the track length is around 1/10 of the wavelength – which would of course be 970 feet in our example.

So for any console in the real world, the length of the PCB tracks to the PSU would only have a significant inductance at much higher frequencies than "audio plus a decent frequency margin", whether you'd call that 100kHz, or even a few multiples of that.

However, this line of inquiry is only helpful if opamp signal bandwidth matters in this. Does it?

To wit, if my PCB track has significant reactance at 1 GHz, and that causes trouble on the supply line (how exactly? in the form of high frequency oscillation?), does an opamp that has been bandwidth-limited to 100kHz even notice?

leigh said:
Right before they dive into that heavy math, they state that a capacitor driven by a sine-wave voltage source "behaves like a frequency-dependent resistance R = 1/ωC" – so I guess that's where I left it, conceptually.

Horowitz and Hill also state that:
Impedance is the "generalized resistance"... oversimplification of sorts.)
As you figured out, even from the best authors, simplification easily turns into over-simplification.
It is essential, at some time in your learning curve, that you fully grab the notion of current-phase vs. voltage.

But I would say that for understanding decoupling optimization, you don't need it. You just ned to know that capacitors are there to provide a low-impedance path for current variations. Typically, if a stage drives a 1kohm load, the capacitor's impedance must be an order of magnitude or two smaller than the load, AT THE LOWEST FREQUENCY OF INTEREST. That's basic math, and should not give you migraines ;).

The difficult part is managing the path of the currents so they don't interfere with the clean path of signal - including the "ground"! (Don't forget the "ground" is the return path of signal. As such it is as important as what people commonly refer to the "signal path", i.e. the connection(s) from the output of a stage to the input of the subsequent.)
That means you have to see how current is sucked from the power supply pins, and how the capacitors will provide a preferred path to a common point, also see how the output current goes to the load(s) and returns back to ground.
Ideally this should be a real single-point of minimal resistance. It is generally easy to put the decoupling capacitors close to the opamp but it is much more difficult, and takes some experience, to make the return currents go back to the same place without interfering with surrounding circuitry.
Let's say you have  stage that drives a fader and several aux send pots:
You must connect their bottom point back to the ground where the decoupling caps are, via track(s) that is(are) not used by any other circuitry.
PCB softwares ignore completely this constraint and will gladly connect the reference ("ground") point of an EQ to the same ground than the fader send. That's why a good AUDIO designer will route the "grounds" manually according to the PCB topology, and run the autorouter subsequently.
The copper pour (ground plane), done without caution, may well ruin that plan; again, it takes some experience to create the necessary channels and islands in the copper pour that will make sure there's no undue short-circuit between "grounds".

leigh, it seems you won't take on trust the practical advice of those who have some experience with this decoupling stuff.

But if you want to know exactly what is happening, you need to do a LOT of work to get from where you are now ... to a position where you understand what's going on.

First, read Appendix A of Horowitz & Hill and then Chapter 1.  Keep reading both of these in turn for a bit.  Then go back to the Kingston thread and read that ...  and then the posts on this thread.

You need to REALLY understand Complex Numbers and how they pertain to Capacitance, Inductance & Reactance.

If anyone knows a simple but accurate explanation of reactance and resonance [/b]on the web, please post it here for leigh.  I'm incompetent to explain it any simpler than H & H

There's more stuff & references to read in LNprimer.doc in my Yahoo MicBuilders Files.  You have to join.

Repeat the above until it starts to make sense.  It may take some time .. even a few years.  Many electronic engineers never fully understand these basic topics ... but you need to keep trying if you want answers to your questions.

This is NOT a joke.

If you don't want to do this, you'll have to accept what the gurus recommend  ...  or better still, try their practical recommendations for yourself.

If YOU don't see any difference .. well it can't be important for YOU.  ;D

audiomixer, AN202 has good discussions on earthing though not with a low noise audio slant.  It's one of the references in my LNprimer.doc

leigh said:
Yes, the perils of thinking out loud. The ideas come in a tumble, and the language is a rough draft at best.

To put it another way: say you have a decent opamp, and you have bandwidth-limited it (with a small capacitor in the feedback loop) to 100kHz.

Now, you are trying to figure out your decoupling scheme for this opamp. Do you have to worry about decoupling high frequencies on the rails, well above 100kHz?

My instinct is you don't have to worry - the opamp's output won't have frequencies higher than 100kHz (simplifying for the moment that this is of course not a brickwall filter cutoff), so the opamp's supply pins will never try to move at frequencies higher than 100kHz either.

?

Actually the answer is it depends. If the op amp is driving the outside world, RF energy could come into the output. There are examples of slow audio power amps turning into radio receivers when RF come into the speaker leads. However if the op amp is in the middle of a multi stage design you can make assumptions based on the bandpass at it's input. 

Note: the feedback cap will roll off the op amp's voltage response, but higher frequency current coming into the input will still be supplied by the op amp output and drawn from the rail.  I advise band passing audio path's early in the signal chain to reduce signal related stresses later .

JR

leigh said:
Would a load being driven to a virtual earth input count as being "driven to ground", or as "driven differentially"?
It would count as driven differentially since the AC input current is matched by current supplied by the feedback resistor, which comes from the op amp output and ultimately the PS rails, so no current flows into ground for that example. 

JR

Thanks everyone for the pointers and the advice. I do want to understand all this in depth, so I will keep chipping away at it, including re-familiarizing myself with complex numbers.

In the meantime, I am going to run a few more noise and THD measurements on the summing amps in the Trident here, before and after making some changes to the rail decoupling.

The stock decoupling arrangement had both one large (100µF) and one small (100nF) cap in parallel, from each rail to ground, near to the summing amps. I had already upped the large caps to 470µF. My next step will be to unsolder the ground side of each cap from the existing ground PCB trace, and to instead run new wires to a dirty ground point (a separate dirty ground module pin is already provided, used for the LEDs).

Ricardo, in your encouragements to decouple rail-to-ground with large electrolytics, I haven't seen you advocate anywhere for the parallel small cap. In your experience, is a parallel small cap simply useless, or is it potentially harmful? This paper on decoupling claims that "The common practice of using two different capacitance values for decoupling can: Increase the RFI/EMI problems, Reduce the reliability of operation, Reduce the noise tolerance".

If a parallel small cap can only do evil for decoupling, I'll pull those from the circuit.

leigh said:
Ricardo, in your encouragements to decouple rail-to-ground with large electrolytics, I haven't seen you advocate anywhere for the parallel small cap. In your experience, is a parallel small cap simply useless, or is it potentially harmful? This paper on decoupling claims that "The common practice of using two different capacitance values for decoupling can: Increase the RFI/EMI problems, Reduce the reliability of operation, Reduce the noise tolerance".
Context.

Cypress, the company where the linked paper originated, are predominantly in the business of selling fast digital chips. Their example shows multiple ceramic capacitors in parallel. Each of these capacitors has fairly small ESR, and the larger cap is only five times as large as the smaller cap. You will see interactions there.

In audio (and in this thread) one usually parallels ceramic and electrolytic caps. The ESR of a good ceramic cap is much smaller than that of the electrolytic cap (the larger ESR of the electrolytic cap is one of the reasons this setup works, spoiling the Q of the power supply network and dampening supply net resonance). The value of the electrolytic cap tends to be two to three orders of magnitude larger than that of the ceramic cap.

JD 'apples/pears' B.
[In my experience, the ESR of the electrolytic caps has much more impact than the distance between said cap and the op-amp. In space constrained designs I have sometimes added a small series resistor to a high-value ceramic cap from supply to ground to achieve similar effects]

Thanks for weighing in, JD. "Apples & pears". Makes sense.

I did notice that the "Z vs. f " graph in that Cypress paper ran from 1MHz - 1GHz, but I wondered if their warning about "the common practice of using two different capacitance values for decoupling" might still apply in general. And in audio, since it is indeed a "common practice" to pair a big electrolytic with a little ceramic, I thought their warning might extend down to those frequencies as well.

One more question about best practices - when picking pico-range caps for bandwidth-limiting an opamp's feedback loop, the quality of the ceramic cap matters, since those are in the signal path, so I've been advised to use C0G types for those. For decoupling rail-to-ground with a ceramic (presumably in parallel with a big electrolytic), does the quality of the ceramic cap matter, or can you use cheap ceramics from the bottom of the junk drawer?

leigh said:
The stock decoupling arrangement had both one large (100µF) and one small (100nF) cap in parallel, from each rail to ground, near to the summing amps. I had already upped the large caps to 470µF. My next step will be to unsolder the ground side of each cap from the existing ground PCB trace, and to instead run new wires to a dirty ground point (a separate dirty ground module pin is already provided, used for the LEDs).
Before you do that, check that Trident don't already have a good Earthing System/Philosophy in place and that the Decoupling Electrolytics are indeed connected to a Dirty Earth.

The better makers will make this very clear in their schematics.

If a parallel small cap can only do evil for decoupling, I'll pull those from the circuit.
I've never found extra small caps in parallel with my beloved Electrolytics to improve or decrease performance FOR AUDIO either in theory or practice.

But if they are already there, you might as well leave them in.

I wouldn't design them in unless the OPA maker specifically recommends you use them.  They take up space and may make it more difficult to get the Electrolytics close.

Today, high value MLC ceramics are so small that using them in series with eg 0R1 SMD resistors (as Guru Bakker) are a good alternative to Electrolytics as you can get them just as close.  This will be more reliable in the long run cos good Electrolytics dry out after a decade or two.  But I still prefer the Electrolytics cos you can get more capacitance.

The situation is different if you need to deliver power at zillion MHz or slew at zillion V/us.  Ceramics are then essential .. and probably EVIL tantalums instead of nice Aluminium Electrolytics.

For many of the new uber OPAs, 1" is too far for the decoupling caps.  That's why I take with a LARGE pinch of salt, Self's claims that LM4562 is less fussy than 5532.  ;D

ricardo said:
Before you do that, check that Trident don't already have a good Earthing System/Philosophy in place and that the Decoupling Electrolytics are indeed connected to a Dirty Earth.

The better makers will make this very clear in their schematics.

I have had this Trident under the microscope for the last couple months, and their earthing system is fairly basic. The "dirty earth" is actually referred to in their documentation as "LED earth", since that's all they use it for, and it runs all the way back to the power supply before connecting with the signal earth.

The summing amp section (2 virtual earth summers and the 2 insert send drivers that follow them) shares one large decoupling electrolytic per rail. Because of this sharing arrangement, some of the connections get longer than the ideal, but the longest the PCB track gets between those caps and any of the power pins of those ICs is about 3". All four ICs are currently LME49710 (the single amp version of the LM4562).

As for the earth connections to the ground side of the decoupling caps, those were definitely not run to Dirty Earth. In fact, for both the VE summing amps, the ground reference pins (the + input to the amps) are within a 1/4" of PCB track from the ground end of the decoupling caps. The wisdom of this scheme was the subject of my question #1 in the Trident grounding thread.

Latest posts

Back