Tascam MS-16 Power Problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Franklin

Hey everyone  :)

I've run into a spot of bother with my Tascam MS-16 16 track tape machine. Just the other day I powered it up and some parts of the machine seem to not be firing up, but some are!

Parts that ARE working:
- The meters are working. They both light up AND move when I feed signal into the inputs and monitor from the input.
- The DBX noise reduction units fire up.
- The remote record enable/output select unit works but the record enable leds aren't going. I imagine this has to do with the problem
- The pinch roller IS spinning
- I/O section is working, as I can get signal to the meters

The displays on the tape machine itself, however are not working and the transport is not working. No lights under the transport buttons like usual, tape wont play, FFW of REW.

There is a tech who shares our building but he is away on holidays for six weeks and I need to mix an EP off a tape some time in the next 2-3 weeks. I guess what I want to know is there anything I can take a look at with my average DIY skills (have built some of the projects on here...GSSL, G Pultec etc and can use a multimeter)? Or should I just call in the big guns ASAP? I've got the service manual, of course.

Perhaps there is something wrong in the part of the power supply that powers the transport section?

If it's any help, this actually happened once before a while ago, but when I got to the studio the next day it was fine again  ???

The other thing I thought I should mention is that I've always been fairly dubious of the power in this building... there are a lot of other businesses operating in the one warehouse and I thought maybe it could be an under-current issue?

Thanks so much for your help in advance, this place is great!

Nick

Latest posts

Back