Ampex MM1100 Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airtech

I've got a quick question regarding my Ampex machine.  I would like to use the machine's electronics and run my mixes through the channels without printing to tape.  Is it alright for me to turn the machine on, switch the unit into input monitor mode and run the audio through the channels without putting a roll of tape on it?  I didn't know if the tape heads needed the tape or the arm needed to be engaged like I had a roll of tape on it. I didn't want to burn up the head stack or the motors.

Thank you,
Nate 

I've owned an Otari MTR 90II for almost 30 years. Never heard of burning up the heads sitting idle.
If it passes audio in input and the motors don't run, I don't see any harm in it, Unless there somthing different about an Otari vs. Ampex. 

Nate,

If you use the machine in "input monitor" mode and not in "record ready" mode, there is no signal to the record head.

However, the signal path from line input to line output is quite short, you lose both recording and playback amplifier in this mode.

Regarding capstan and spool motors, they are in sleep mode when the tape arm is not activated.

--Bo

The way I have my small studio/room setup is having all my gear inline with everything else.  So my signal that is recorded into my DAW is mixed/played back out of my Apogee AD8000SE's, to my outboard eq's/compressors, to my Ampex MM1100-16 track and then to my Chandler mini-mixer.  I wanted to keep everything connected as I have it.

As far as the signal into the tape machine, if I'm monitoring the input, what part of the tape machine is the audio going through if not the playback/record electronics?  

Or, is there a way of including those stages without rolling tape?  Maybe I should bypass the Ampex all together while mixing then.

Thanks,
Nate

Nate,

In input monitor mode, you only send signal through the input buffer and output line amp. (include one line input and one line output transformer)

--Bo

Latest posts

Back