Alesis AI3 Upgrades

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

Hey guys i have an Alesis AI3 converter that i bought years ago, i dont use it too much but i find it very handy to add extra inputs/outputs via ADAT lightpipe. I was planning on upgrading this thing, and i saw the Black Lion Mod for the AI3, but to be honest paying $420 plus shipping both ways seems like a bit expensive to spend on these converters.

So i was wondering if you know about any upgrades for it, i know that basically BLA replaces the NJM4580 opamps, recaps, decouples, and stuff like that. Im not looking to do exactly the same thing BLA does, but just looking on how to upgrade this thing. I opened the unit and i saw that it uses SMD chips, and that sucks, i also saw that the electrolytics are basically "Happy china man" brand. The rest is very straight forward, and simple, as i said everything is SMD.

So any tips?

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40834.0

Not getting much direction as of yet.  I plan on recap and stuff.  Just not sure exactly what to do.

I popped the lid on my AI3 and I see Nichicon PL (M) in the power supply and REC 25v 47uf on the circuit board.  Are these bad sounding caps?  What would be an upgrade to these.  I already had the Chips upgraded by blacklion.  I was just hoping to do these caps by myself because I can and it will take a hour to do vs. beening with out the unit for weeks.

Any of you smarter guys have any suggestions for Cap upgrades or if they are need.

EDIT:  There are a few 1uf 50v caps as well.  They are REC as well.  I don't have a schematic so I don't really have much of an ideal.

Thanks

user 37518 said:
Recapping is kinda straightforward, its the opamp replacement that bothers me, because i dont think its just a matter of replacing the opamp, perhaps some resistor values, caps, etc must be changed/added....
I had same kind of idea on my motu, i had no(and still havent got) schemas for it, but I changed first just one opamp(same 4580) to lme49720ma, after that worked ok I changed opamps on 2inoputs and 2 outputs, and took some measurements;
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=41248.0
not as big difference as I thought but..

kooma said:
not as big difference as I thought but..

There was never going to be any differences in frequency domain. Have a look at standard THD measurements (RMAA free is a great tool for it). You can easily spot differences there, although usually below even -70dBu, unless it's a really bad opamp. The distribution of harmonics of the distortions can be very different between two opamps. Square wave corners with accurate scope can be very revealing as well.

thanks, have to try that.
(in quick tests I thougth that it was those few db extended at +20Khz i must be "hearing" as a improvement)

edit:RMAA was only in windows not osX, i thought there was a reason why i havent tried it:)

does anyone have a schematic for this?  I'm wondering if I should be uping the cap values and size at all while I recap it?

Back