pumping compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The key thing here is a compressor with an external sidechain input.  It's an external source that gives the pumping effect that you are talking about.

I know we are talking mainly hardware... but try cytomic the glue. I have to admit that I don't use my gssl that often anymore since I have that plug

nicholas

As a matter of fact, The Glue was modelled after a diy GSSL. This person had a friend build a GSSL, then analyzed it and coded the plugin.
Of course, hardware is cooler anyway.
8)

I often will duplicate my kick drum track and use the dup to key the compressor.  That way I can shift the key track slightly to get the pumps to time up exactly where I want them. The "feel" of the "groove" of the compressor can be adjusted this way. 

In the tape days, we used to take the kick off the sync head and delay it through a 42 until the pumps were sitting just right.

jackies said:
As a matter of fact, The Glue was modelled after a diy GSSL. This person had a friend build a GSSL, then analyzed it and coded the plugin.
Of course, hardware is cooler anyway.
8)

Actually, it wasn't. Andrew's seen the GSSL schematic but based the Glue on the SSL bus compressor schematic.

As you know, there are differences.

The Glue comes very close to the real deal.

I use it for all kinds of things but I would never pull more than 2-3db because as with all plug-in compressors it falls short.

Sometimes I use it as a "place holder" to get a sound and then print the track through the real thing.

Mark

rob_gould said:
The key thing here is a compressor with an external sidechain input.  It's an external source that gives the pumping effect that you are talking about.
Sorry, I don't agreee.  Pumping is created by the side-chain being slower than the signal; basically, you hear the Gain Reduction happening after the attack is gone and it keeps on reducing the sustain part of the signal. So the key thing is adjustable attack and release times. We made compressors pump way before they had an external sidechain input.

Hi,

sorry to chime in, but I think you are both correct, but in different contexts. I think that electriciser is refering to the "French" trick, of pretriggering the sidechain with the kick, smashing the mix to bits, making it surge after the beat. A one trick pony, but what a trick, if done correctly. Personally it makes me feel a bit queezy!

of course you can make it "pump" without sidechain access, but I am sure he is refering to a specific effect. Please stick your oar in if i am wrong!

Kindest MAcdoodahs,

ANdyP

high friends,
i never heard of the french trick  ;)

but thats the way i do it normally. the bassdrum kicks the mix or better parts of a mix (eg pads sometimes basslines) down after the kick it comes back again. useful on 4 to the floor tracks... it makes you sick if used too much - it makes u dance if used cool  8) the song comes alive with it even if thats a bit "trash use" of a compressor...

electrisizer said:
hi guys,
im on search for a compressor that can heavy "pump" - triggered by bassdrum. i need this effect for house/disco stuff...
what DIY project can you advice for this purpose?

What do you mean by 'heavy pump - triggered by bassdrum'? Do you mean you want to trigger compression on something else with the kick drum or do you simply mean a compressor 'on' the kick drum?

If you just mean a bass drum with compression, there's lots of compressors that are good, probably the best is to try a few and see which you like. 1176, sta level, distressor, ssl, etc.

strangeandbouncy said:
Hi,

sorry to chime in, but I think you are both correct, but in different contexts. I think that electriciser is refering to the "French" trick, of pretriggering the sidechain with the kick, smashing the mix to bits, making it surge after the beat. A one trick pony, but what a trick, if done correctly. Personally it makes me feel a bit queezy!

of course you can make it "pump" without sidechain access, but I am sure he is refering to a specific effect. Please stick your oar in if i am wrong!

Kindest MAcdoodahs,

ANdyP
Thank you for pointing it to me. I'm a bit of a shtickler for terminology and I tend to forget that the meaning of words evolves a lot.

Hank Dussen said:
If could manage to get an external sidechain input on it, I'm sure an 1176 would be an awesome pumping machine.
Much faster release then an SSL.
You could, in theory, but you would have to resort to "SSL trick" (separate gain reduction element in sidechain - and some serious JFET matching on top). If you have two 1176 clones you could try it: make sure there is high degree of matching, feed one with Kick or whatever, take CV from that compressor to feed other comps jfet. Other comp will do the "pumping".

SSL (with a bit fiddling in sidechain) can release as "fast" as 1176, but that will "feel" diferent because same expo decay on capacitor "works" against different controll laws of different VCAs.

My SB4000 set to 10:1, full threshold and T1 on the S/C with fast attack and slowest release gives an absolutely filthy pumping effect.
filthy being a good thing. its like ive poured a tub of treacle over the track.
beautifull for parrallel drum busses

Back